Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Dealing with a crappy sleeper right now? Join me.

I'm not usually a whiner. But it's 2:45am and I just put her down for the 5th time tonight. Please let me whine a little, and feel free to whine with me.

I already know:  Every baby is different.

It might be a growth spurt.

It could be an early 4 month wakeful.

It could be gas or teething.

It's common for a 3 1/2 month old.

I'm just SO FREAKING FRUSTRATED!!!!!! She's been getting up every 1-3 hours for a couple weeks now and I'm going nuts.

I have tried everything I can think of. We do the same bedtime routine each night. I've given her tylenol, teething tablets, and gripe water before bed. I've had her sleep in her crib, I've had her sleep in our room. We've bed-shared. I just don't know what else to do and I feel so helpless. I feel like I'm going to be doing this until she's 2.  

She's not enjoying this either. She's not as smiley and happy during the day as she used to be. :(  THIS SUCKS!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Dealing with a crappy sleeper right now? Join me.

• Options
    She misses you and wants some more snuggly time... That's what I'm saying right now because DS decided he wanted a 3am snack!
  • Options
    I am with you. LO is just a week younger.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I read the two extremes on the spectrum for sleep training books--No Cry Sleep Solution and Ferber. . .I can share what I learned.  

You really HAVE to put your LO down drowsy but awake. . I know sounds ridiculous right?  I finally tried it, and after three nights he goes down by himself after our routine at 8:30 (bath, bottle, book, 5 mins of rocking--making sure he doesn't fall to sleep while rocking).  At first it took about 10 minutes of whining.  The one time he did cry, I picked him back up and rocked him til he stopped crying but was still awake.  I was prepared to do this until he stopped. . Only took 1 try.  

My second piece of advice is get rid of the monitor!  I used to run to DS at EVERY peep.  I was afraid he'd totally wake up, but I was training him to need me to rock him and cuddle when he had those short night wakings.  Now I can only hear him when he actually needs me.  Last night, he woke up at 1:45 grunting, whining and groaning.  I told myself I would let him do that for 10 mins.  By 8 minutes he was passed out and slept til 5.  

If you don't change what you are doing, you can't expect LO to change what s/he is doing--That was the hardest part for me! 

Now let me go knock on the biggest piece of wood I can find!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm right there with you Momma. My son still wakes up at least twice a night and he's 5 months old today.  Last night was especially brutal. He went down at 6:30, woke up at 10:30 and was up until almost midnight. Woke up again around 2:45. I gave him his paci and he slept until 5:00. He just went down for a nap right now (7:38 my time).  I agree with the lady who said to turn off the baby monitor. That has helped me a lot. As Mom's were such light sleepers as it is, when it comes to our babies.  He/she will get loud enough if they really need you/us.  I just keep telling myself "It won't be like this forever".  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My heart goes out to you!!!  This was my daughter until about 10 days. Now it's only 1-2 wakeups per night, vs. 5-8. It gets better, just keep trying different things (I would suggest one thing at a time for 2 nights to see if it's helping).  One day something will work.  For us it was 1)putting her in her own room, 2) extending at least one of her normally short naps. She already went down drowsy but awake (can't take the credit, she's been doing that since 8 weeks). But it could just as easily be that she's finally gotten old enough to sleep better.  Don't give up hope, just try to take it one day at a time and by all means, nap whenever you possibly can!

Waffles are delicious
  • Options
    Magicsleepsuit.com. This has been a lifesaver! I was hesitant to buy, but so far it has been worth every penny!
    My big boy image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Thank you so much for the compassionate responses and great advice. I'll definitely try the suggestions... drowsy but awake, and the sleepsuit.

Thanks again. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"