Birth Stories

Unmedicated Hospital Birth (very very long!)

Two days before my due date I had a regular doctors appointment. During the internal exam, the doctor told me I was 2 centimeters dilated and 50 percent effaced. He then proceeded to strip my membranes and stretch my cervix. I had been having frequent, strong, but not painful contractions for a few weeks, but as soon as I left his office I felt different. The contractions seemed to be getting slightly painful by the time I went to bed last night and woke me up at 4 am the next morning because they were noticeably painful.

I stayed in bed for about a half hour timing the contractions and found they were about 5 minutes apart and slightly painful, but nothing serious. I was excited though since all the other contractions I had felt up until that point had been completely painless. I decided to get out of bed and clean the kitchen and time the contractions some more. They were 4-5 minutes apart and getting slightly more painful. Soon I had to go to the bathroom and noticed some bloody mucus, which I assumed was my bloody show. I called my mom and told her I thought we would be having a baby today, then woke up my husband around 6:30 to tell him what was going on and start getting showered and ready to go to the hospital.

We got to the hospital a little before 8 am and told the staff I thought I was in labor. The nurse checked me and said I was about 3 centimeters dilated and 80% effaced. Then she hooked me up to the monitors and immediately the baby?s heart rate dipped significantly, enough that we were all looking at each other pretty worried. The dip only lasted about 5 seconds, but was still worrisome. The nurse said she wasn?t convinced I was in labor, but baby?s heart rate just bought me a ticket to be admitted. I wasn?t really worried at that point since the baby?s heart picked right back up and stayed normal. Maybe 30 minutes later the nurse administered an IV per my doctor?s orders and the baby?s heart dipped again.

The nurse began the admissions process and asked me a ton of questions. When she asked me if I wanted an epidural, I said no. She said she would advise that I get one because if the baby?s heart rate dipped and I had to go in for an emergency c-section they would have to knock me out if I didn?t already have an epidural in. The nurse said my doctor wanted her to break my water and start me on Pitocin. At this point I got pretty stressed out because I really wanted to have as natural of a birth as possible. No epidural, no augmentation drugs, and especially no c-section and now the nurse was telling me I would need all of those things. Luckily, my nurse was very understanding of my concerns. I told her I wanted her to break my water and see how things progressed before starting any Pitocin. She agreed and got me situated in a labor room at around 10:30 am.

At this point the contractions were still noticeably painful, but I was able to talk through them easily. The nurse proceeded to break my water and noticed that there was a little bit of meconium in it. She said it was very light though and was not worried. Once she broke my water, my contractions started to get progressively stronger and to the point that I couldn?t talk through them easily and had to focus on my breathing. They were still not that bad and when the nurse checked me at around 11:30 she said I was about 4 centimeters dilated and let us know that I would dilate about 1 centimeter an hour.

The contractions really started to pick up and I was getting more and more uncomfortable. Now when a contraction would start I would have to totally focus on it and try hard not to moan. Once a contraction would peak, I would start to relax as it was coming down. The contractions were about 2 minutes apart. The nurse checked me again around 1:00 and said I was about 6 centimeters. She was pleased with my progress and didn?t seem to think I would need any Pitocin. I was happy I was over halfway dilated and hadn?t had an epidural despite how painful the contractions were. The nurse asked if I wanted to try the birthing ball and I said I?d love to. I was able to sit on the ball and rock my hips, but during a contraction all I could do was hang onto my husband and wait for it to be over.

After about an hour on the birthing ball, the nurse came to check on me again. I told her I was feeling a lot of pressure in my bottom and she said she wanted to check me and said I was about 8 centimeters and the baby?s head was ?right there?. That was a lot of progress in a small amount of time which was very encouraging. I also knew that the last couple of centimeters would be very difficult.

The baby?s heart rate hadn?t dipped since the nurse broke my water, which was great. But when I was on the birthing ball the monitor kept sliding around on my belly and losing her heart rate. The nurse said she wanted to insert an internal fetal monitor so that she could keep an eye on the baby?s heart rate. I declined since I didn?t want my baby to have anything inserted into her scalp and decided to get off the birthing ball and back into the bed even though I really didn?t want to.

The last two centimeters really were hard. The contractions were excruciating and seemed to be coming back to back. I was laying on my side grasping the rails of the bed and couldn?t keep myself from moaning through the contractions. At about 3:00, another nurse came in to ask if I was okay and if I felt like I needed to push. I told her I did feel like pushing during contractions. My nurse came and checked on me and said there was just a small lip of cervix left. She had me push during the next contraction and quickly told me to stop and not push while she got the doctor. It was torture waiting for him. When the nurse told me to push during the contraction all the pain I was in completely disappeared. Pushing felt so good and I couldn?t wait for the doctor to get to my room.

Also, the nurse noticed that the meconium had gotten thicker and decided to alert the NICU team just in case. I waited for the doctor and NICU team for about 15 minutes still moaning and groaning through contractions and trying to hard not to push. The nurse said I could do ?small grunty pushes? but no big pushes until the doctor came. Those small pushes were great and took the contraction pain away.

The doctor finally showed up at 3:15 and my legs were put up in the stirrups. When the next contraction came I pushed as hard as I could and could already feel the baby moving down and the contraction pain was gone. Pushing didn?t hurt at all, it was a relief. I only pushed for 15 minutes and our baby was born at 3:31 pm on October 6th.  Her dad got to cut the cord, then she was quickly whisked away to the other side of the room so the NICU team could make sure there wasn?t any meconium aspiration. I felt such a relief the second she was born. All the pain was gone. I also felt a horrible emptiness because I couldn?t hold my baby right away. I felt helpless watching the nurses making sure she was breathing okay while my doctor stitched up two very small tears. He put one stitch in each just for good measure.

The nurses said they needed to take the baby to the NICU to make sure she had the fluid out of her lungs. They quickly swaddled her and let me hold her for about a minute before taking her away. My husband went with her and was by her side during all of the checks and the baby was given a clean bill of health. I was moved to a post-partum room and sat in the bed by myself not really sure what to do. I felt like I should be cuddling my baby and instead I felt lonely and confused. Finally, about 2 hours after she was born, my husband wheeled her crib into the room and I was able to hold her without someone coming to snatch her away. I tried to breastfeed her right away but did not have any success. A nurse gave me some pointers that were not helpful at all, but I was just happy to have my baby with me.

Overall, I am happy with the birth. I got my med-free birth despite the scares with the baby?s heart rate. I am disappointed about how things went right after she was born, but I am also glad that we were in a hospital where extra precautions were taken to make sure our baby was okay. Breastfeeding was not working at all the first few days and I was becoming frustrated and worried. I had to supplement with some formula which made me feel like a failure. On the fourth day, I decided to contact a lactation consultant who came to our home for about 3 hours and taught me and baby how to latch on correctly. She visited us again on the fifth day to make sure things were still going well. It feels wonderful to nurse my baby and bond with her the way we are supposed to. Despite the trouble we had in the beginning, things are going great now and I am so happy and in love with our perfect little baby.

Re: Unmedicated Hospital Birth (very very long!)

• Congratulations! She is lovely. I am happy to hear you got the birth you wanted and the NICU team was nearby to take care of your little girl.
  • Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations - your daughter is beautiful!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats on your birth!  Sounds like you did a good job advocating for yourself and managing the contractions. 

I had kind of a similar hospital birth experience--natural and pretty awesome but they whisked her across the room right away to check her out because there was meconium.  Luckily for us I got her back for good about 5 minutes later.  I'm happy with my overall birth experience but I still mourn the loss of those first 5 minutes we could have spent together and the fact that they cut her cord right away.  I don't know why the NICU team can't just do their initial assessment on your chest while she gets the benefit of all the rest of her blood that's in the cord at birth.  Seems like kind of a no-brainer to me. 

I'm glad bfing is going better for you now--way to be persistent.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congratulations!  She is beautiful!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. I'm glad her NICU stay was very short.

• Congrats!!  She is so beautiful!
    image Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"