Birth Stories

induction (What should i generally expect?)

i know that this may not be the right place to butt in and ask :) but i am to be induced next week and generally i would like to know what to expect... i understand that everyone pregnancy is diff and that every induction may be diff. but what happens in general?  I imagine it will take a long time since i am only fingertip dilated apparently...   Any advice? input? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: induction (What should i generally expect?)

• Well, it's a week away so you don't know how things might change.

I was scheduled for an induction at 41 weeks.  The day before, my water broke!  However, got to the hospital and after some time, my contractions weren't very strong and I wasn't progressing at all, so they ended up giving me pitocin to get things moving.

And how it worked!  My contractions got a LOT stronger to the point that after a couple hours, I was ready for an epidural.   I gave birth almost exactly 12 hours after my water broke.

As you said, though, every person is different.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• When I was "induced" I was really afraid of pitocin/epidural interventions so I had my water broken and then my husband and I did nipple stimulation to get things going.  I don't know if everyone's OB would go for that, but we were lucky ours did.  5 hours later our daughter was born.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're only a fingertip dilated I'd imagine you'll do cervadil first. They insert it and it stays in for 12 hours to help ripen the cervix. Mine dilated me to 3 cm and 100% effaced. Then they broke my water, started pitocin and gave me an epidural. Basically after that I just slept and waited it out. Things took a turn for me after I napped because my epi wasn't blocking all of my pain. I never progressed past 4 cm and the pitocin was sending the baby into distress whenever they tried to up the dose.  So after 24 hours since the induction had started they wheeled me in for a c/s. 

Just be prepared for anything. Mine was pretty long and the end was torturous but looking back it was over before I knew it and I was holding my baby boy. Good luck! Its all worth it!

Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
                07.30.10          08.17.12           
  • Everyone's experience is going to be different. While you're "waiting" it would be good to read up on "old wives" tricks for self-starting labor. I've been reading "Your Best Birth" and the "Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Way" books. It's not too late to try your local library and skim through those or other helpful books.

I would think that relaxation and visualization exercise could help you in several ways. Be sure to get enough rest and good nutrition. The more anxious and fearful you feel, the less your body will "want" to go into labor. Think about your body working well to open up and bring your baby down into the world. Listen to positive inputs and advice. 

Your question is what should you expect. Expect to have a peaceful labor and it's more likely that you will.  

• Depending on your cervix, they may decide to insert cervadil or go straight to the pitocin. I'd make sure you eat before you go in cause once they start you on the pitocin, they won't let you eat. Just ice chips.

I had to have the cervadil and they left it in for 7 -8 hours, but I had to lay down flat for the first 2 hours. 

Things can happen slow or happen fast, it just depends on your body and how things are progressing. I would say that once they started me on the pitocin at 5am, it was about 12 hours before I had LO.

• I was induced 9 days over. Went in that night for cervadil, the next morning it had done nothing. Started pitocin, NEEDED the epidural after 2 hours or so, never dilated pass 6 cm. Had a Csection after 18 hours of labor (DS's heartrate kept dropping). He had (and still does) a 98% head circumfrence. I hope your induction goes well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"