Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

RP from 2U2: destination wedding--thoughts?

Re-posting b/c 2U2 is really slow (probably b/c everyone on there has 2U2 and no time or energy to post!).

DH's brother just got engaged and they'd like to do some sort of destination wedding this winter. They have no idea yet whether that means Florida (we live in Wisconsin), Mexico, Bahamas, Hawaii, whatever. DH's bro asked how we'd feel about traveling & DH basically said we really wouldn't want to at all...we would if we had to, but would probably have to go w/out the kids. I was surprised b/c I was thinking we'd definitely try to work out getting there as a family. I thought something like Florida would be do-able, while something like Hawaii we would not think was worth it. Heck, I was thinking we should take a spring trip to Florida as a getaway (DH's parents have a condo so it's pretty easy and they are there to help babysit), even before I found out about the wedding!

If they get married in March, we'll have a 26 month old and a 3 month old. 

Is DH right? Am I crazy to think it wouldn't be that bad to go with the kids?

I will most likely to breastfeeding so I wouldn't want to leave the kids at home...plus that would probably be too soon for me to want to leave the baby and I'd be an emotional mess.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: RP from 2U2: destination wedding--thoughts?

• I think you'd be crazy to take the kids if you have an option not to.  I think it's a great excuse to take a vacation (and oh yea, go to a wedding).  But this comes from a person who left her 4 month old for 10 days and had no beef doing it.  You can pump while you're on vacation so that when you get back you can still breast feed
  • Yeah, but I would never be able to pre-pump enough before I left. I could hardly keep up with demand with DD1. I hardly saved anything during mat. leave and then pumped barely enough at work each day for the next day...could get very little extra on weekends even though I tried.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • If it was a friend or distant relative, I'd say it's not worth it. But, for your DH's brother, I'd go. You'll (presumably) have family there to help you wherever you go, so other than the plane flight it shouldn't be much more difficult than having the kids at home. If it's possible, I'd try to get a suite or rent a house with other people attending the wedding - that way you'll have extra space (vs. a hotel room) and there will be people right there to help you look after the kids. 
  • I don't think I would be able to do it!  Florida totally do able, but if it were anywhere else I wouldn't want to leave my 3 month old, especially if I were BFing, shoot DD is 1 and she has never spent the night away from us!  I would let DH decide if he wanted to go solo if it were not in Florida, but other than that I would be up for a little vacation with the family, and you know you would have a babysitter for a night out with DH!!
  • Anything is doable. However, taking 2u2 to a wedding will be hard & you probably won't really enjoy the wedding. I was moh of my friend's wedding before that was 4hrs away.I had both my 3month old& 24 month old with me at the time.My family was there but didn't help at all! DH & I had to take turns eating. The music was too loud & we even had to leave early  from the kids being cranky. It was a pretty miserable experience.

If you do it, it would really help if you brought a nanny, friend or grandma for the purpose to help with the kids. Also,make sure your toddler gets a nap that day.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"