Parenting after a Loss

Feeding newborns

How many ounces are newborns supposed to get at each feeding? Liv screams when my DH is done giving the supplemental bottle of 2 ounces. Does that mean she's still hungry!?!

Re: Feeding newborns

• By three weeks we were at 3-4 oz.  I can't remember exactly when we switched, but I know we were just starting her on 5 oz when I went back to work when she was 7 weeks.

1st pregnancy: m/c began 1/12/09 d&c 1/13/09 8wks. Baby stopped growing at about 6wks.

Delaney: Born 10/15/09

Gavin: Born 4/8/11

Baby #3: due July 10, 2014

• Are you BFing and supplementing with formula or BM?

Average intake between one month and six months of age is 24 to 32 ounces per 24 hours.  There can be tons of variability, though.  Some babies will take three or four 8-ounce bottles per day, others will take eight or ten 3-ounce bottles per day.  There is no "normal" or "recommended" way to do it.

Breastfed babies are notorious for over-eating at the bottle, though.  So LO might just be mad that her suckling has ended.  At the breast she is able to continue suckling and snuggling with mommy even when she is no longer actively eating. 

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelkstor:

Are you BFing and supplementing with formula or BM?

Average intake between one month and six months of age is 24 to 32 ounces per 24 hours.  There can be tons of variability, though.  Some babies will take three or four 8-ounce bottles per day, others will take eight or ten 3-ounce bottles per day.  There is no "normal" or "recommended" way to do it.

Breastfed babies are notorious for over-eating at the bottle, though.  So LO might just be mad that her suckling has ended.  At the breast she is able to continue suckling and snuggling with mommy even when she is no longer actively eating. 

Right now I'm supplementing with BM. I'm seriously debating on starting supplementing with formula though. I feel like she just isn't getting enough. I'm going to give myself the weekend to decide though. Thanks for the info! It definitely helps to know that she might just be screaming bc she wants to keep sucking.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"