Infertility

What do you make of this~ doc not testing progesterone...

I asked my doc today at my appointment about my progesterone levels and she said she doesn't test that bc there is no evidence whether that effects infertility. Is that right? it seems like from what i am reading its very important. And something i very well may have an issue with as my first cycle on clomid i had heavy bleeding, not my period, a week after my iui. i also had an early miscarriage about a year ago. Couldn't low progerstrone cause these issues?

She is supposedly one of the best fertility docs in my area so i'm surprised i think. she actually even told me to stop reading things on the internet (i would be even more clueless if i didn't do that though).

She just gave me a script for femerra and i'm going to try that and do an iui this cycle. i'm going to ask for my progersterone to be tested. i want to know what it is.

Any insight on this? This is all so frustrating. :(

Re: What do you make of this~ doc not testing progesterone...

• hmm, I mean I have never heard of someone's diagnosis for IF being low progesterone levels alone, but from what I've read, heard, and whats been implied by my RE, progesterone levels do matter...a lot. You need a certain level of progesterone to sustain a pregnancy so I am thinking that it is pretty important. Strange theory your RE has...I would definitely have them check it though, maybe if it's low she'll pay attention?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doc requires all patients to use progesterone supps or PIO even if they don't need it.  For example our IF is 100% MFI and they still prescribe me PIO and supps.  My LP and b/w are completely normal, but they said better safe than sorry later.  I love their careful approach.  They said and I agree based on what I have read that progesterone is crucial to sustaining pregnancy.
    TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • With my IVF cycles, my progesterone is monitored.  When I did an IUI, it wasn't monitored, but I did take progesterone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Where is your doctor located?  My doctor says the same thing.  Like you, I'm a little wary of the idea that progesterone does not affect IF.

Kind of like what one of the pps said, I haven't heard of an IF diagnosis of low progesterone.  I do think that progesterone is important and I do think that if your progesterone is low, it means your body is unlikely ready to support a pregnancy.  I think my RE's philosophy on progesterone is that your levels are indicative of something, but that progesterone or lack thereof is not the cause of the problems (Does that make sense?)

That being said, my RE uses progesterone after IUIs, IVF and FET (actually my RE does say that progesterone is imperative during FET since your body isn't making any on its own during these cycles)  She feels that it is better to be on the safe side and do everything possible.  Plus, she knows it makes her patients feel better.

*P/SAIFW* TTC since 1/08 Clomid, 2 IUIs, 4 IVFs, FET 7 losses Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had the same worry my progesterone has been low and my lp is 10 days sometimes 9.  My doc said that low progesterone is not the problem but the after effect from something else and that putting me on progesterone during 2ww won't help.  Although they do put every IVF patient on progresterone.  (I was questioning my IUI cycles).
    TTC since 2008, our little miracle arrived July 2013!

photo fe6a27e4-de39-4f30-81f0-14bbf2fc509c.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"