Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

HOW did I forget to ask this: DCP home visits?

I got this week's DCP bulletin and there was a letter from the DCP director saying she was going to be doing home visits because our daycare is "one big family" and she wants to show her commitment by visiting each child and their parents in their home.

So, anyone else's DCP do this?  I think it's GREAT, but I also think it's a child advocacy gesture in disguise.  I think they want to be able to see each child's home environment to be able to better understand the child and spot potential issues at home.  Again, I think it's wonderful they are doing this, but I'm just wondering about the motives and what may have prompted the new policy.  We DO have a new DCP director, maybe that's why?  I heard a couple teachers talking about a child and it seemed there may have been home issues....again, I'm not sure exactly what I heard but what I heard led me to believe that.

WDYT?

Re: HOW did I forget to ask this: DCP home visits?

• Personally, I think it is strange.  I was a director for 3 years.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I understand seeing the child in their own home, but I still don't think I'd be comfortable with this. First, I see my time at home as valuable and I would not want someone just inviting themselves to come to my home, DCP or not. Overall, I see this as an invasion of privacy.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, that would not be okay with me.  DCP is something you pay for, a service. Not something that they need to be intruding on you with.  Keep in mind that I am a teacher and used to teach at Head Start where home visits are required, so I completely understand the reasoning of home visits.  I see absolutely no reason why they need to be in your house and I honestly probably wouldn't let them.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't have a problem with it. I think it's a wonderful way for her to establish a bond with your family and learn more about one another.
    J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
  • My best friend's kindergartner just had a home visit with their teacher. She thought it was a great way to ask her questions in a comfortable place.

My brother is a 5th grade teacher in Seattle. He does home visits as well, to meet with the family at their own level and be approachable.

• Is there a chance that they are concerned about one or two children in particular and this is their way of checking up on them without making those parents feel singled out? I might feel a little weird about it if it were a mandatory policy, I think it should be optional. I've never heard of anyone doing it before.
  • image2-Step:
    Is there a chance that they are concerned about one or two children in particular and this is their way of checking up on them without making those parents feel singled out? I might feel a little weird about it if it were a mandatory policy, I think it should be optional. I've never heard of anyone doing it before.
    This was my thought also. This seems like a way to find out more about the home life of a kid about whom they are concerned. I don't know that I would mind, I really love my daycare ladies - and one of them has stopped by on her way home on the few times when I've forgotten something - I can't say I'd be super psyched about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"