January 2011 Moms
Options

"dream" birth is a fantasy-vent

DH and I decided, upon finding out I was pregnant, that we wanted to labor as naturally as possible. We didn't want me to be induced and wanted to bypass as many medical interventions as possible. We even contemplated the idea of a home birth. I knew this probably wasn't going to happen since I have FVL and will be/ have been on Lovenox for the entire pregnancy. Well, now our dr is telling us he wants to induce a week early to reduce further clotting risks. I now feel like everything I had my heart set on is going to come out completely opposite. Don't get me wrong, I in no way anticipated everything to go perfectly, but now it is looking more and more like I'm going to have a fully medical intervened birth with drugs and possibly resulting in a c/s. I literally broke down in tears last night while talking to DH on the phone (yep, remember I've seen him for a grand total of 11 days since May). He's coming home this weekend (he was before my meltdown anyway) and I think that will help, but I'm still feeling down about how my birth plan is unfolding. I'm sure I'm just jumping to conclusions and being a total debbie downer, but I really needed to vent.

Re: "dream" birth is a fantasy-vent

• Options
    I'm so sorry. I understand how disappointed you are. Are you able to sit down with your doctor and go over all of your options so you can at least have some control over (well as much as possible) what happens to you? I mean, if they decide to induce, still try to go without drugs for pain, etc.? I really hope everything works out. Try to be positive. Maybe you'll naturally go into labor prior to an induction and can still have the birth you wanted.
  • Options
    Have lots of sex. ;) Semen makes the cervix dilate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry.  I'm sure you are disappointed but like PP try to talk with your doctor and have as much control as possible and maybe that will make it better.
  • Options

Honestly, I don't trust my dr to try and meet me half way. One of the ladies I work with, her daughter just gave birth and has the same dr as I do. She put in her birth plan that she did not want an episiotomy and he gave her one anyway. Ever since I asked about a home birth he treats us like we're granola eating, Subaru driving, tree hugging hippies and when I asked him if it was necessary to induce me a week early he roughly put down his folder, let out a big sigh and replied "Would you like to see if a midwife has a second opinion." Knowing that a midwife wouldn't even consider my case (I've asked). I'd change drs in a heartbeat, but unfortunately in the great state of Alaska there is only one high risk dr and she only has a handful of colleagues she works with. Two are in Anchorage, three are in Fairbanks and the others are scattered around outlying native villages. I would love a second opinion, but every dr I've tried to get a consult with won't touch my case because I'm high risk.

I fully intend on continuing on with my med-free approach even if I am induced. And the sex inducing sounds like fun. I'm sure DH will be up for that!!

• Options
    I'm so sorry!  I know how disappointing that can be.  I do have to say that its a little better to know ahead of time what is to be expected.  I ended up with an emergency c/s after 1 hours of labor and so there really was no time to let the idea sink in or to prepare myself and ask the questions I wanted to.  I will be having a planned c/s this time and at least this way we can relax about it, tell the dr my concerns, and possibly dh will be able to cut the cord this time.  I can honestly say that I don't feel cheated out of that part of having a baby because what comes after that is so much better : )
    imageimage Brothers! image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"