March 2011 Moms

My Bridesmaid Dress Vent

About 7 months ago my brother's fiance told me I NEEDED to get my order in for my bridesmaid dress.  I held off ordering it as long as I could and really thought I'd ordered a size big enough that if I were to get pregnant before the wedding, it would be big enough.  When the dress was delivered it had plenty of room in the waist.  

A month ago it fit perfectly.  Two weeks ago it zipped, but was looking snug so I figured the seamstress could take it out just a smidge.  Went to see her today and uh oh...  she has to increase the waist by 3-4 inches!  She has to use extra material to add side panels.  So now I've had to spend several hundred dollars on a dress (in a color I loathe) and am paying the seamstress a good penny to play Frankenstein with it...

Since this is my first LO I've been (pleasantly) surprised to be showing this much already.  I just hope I don't really pop much before next Saturday and that the seamstress can make it look good still! 

Re: My Bridesmaid Dress Vent

• What color is it?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'll be going to a wedding next saturday as well! I'm not a bridesmaid, but I when I announced my pregnancy my sister bought me a maternity dress that she thought was really pretty so I lucked out and don't have to go shopping.

• Loading the player...
  • Oh no!!!  I hope it turns out ok.  Shame you had to spend so much extra.  Sad
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJade+1:
    What color is it?

It's brown.  It's not an ugly color and I know it's popular at fall weddings, but it's one of those colors that's just NMS (and doesn't look good on me).   I love the style but it's definitely not something I'd ever wear again.  I love my future SIL and it's her wedding so I am fully aware no one really gives a crap what I look like.  I just want the thing to fit without costing me an arm and a leg and fifteen trips to the seamstress!

• Similar thing happened to me.  My best friend got married last weekend, and I had waited to get the alterations done until three weeks before the wedding. 

Well, last Wednesday I put on a pair of jeans (same pair I had worn over the weekend) and they wouldn't button.  Luckily, because of that, I had the foresight to try on the bridesmaid dress (can you imagine the disaster if I didn't?!?) and it wouldn't zip up.  I had to get it emergency altered 3 days before the wedding!

It didn't look the greatest on me, but luckily it all worked out in the end.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow... I am in the EXACT same situation, same wedding day and everything.  I ordered mine big too, and have purposely been waiting to even try it on.  I am going to try this weekend, but I have a feeling it will be snug.  I have a good seamstress, so hopefully if anything is wrong, she can fix it.  I hope yours can too...

A little off topic, but still kind of on... I have been super bitchy about the wedding I am in, and it is my bff's and I am moh.  I feel like everything she tells me I need to do, or everything she complains about, I want to go off on her, because it comes across as selfish to me.  Have you noticed yourself being like that?  Or, even just annoyed with some of it???

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSheas:

Wow... I am in the EXACT same situation, same wedding day and everything.  I ordered mine big too, and have purposely been waiting to even try it on.  I am going to try this weekend, but I have a feeling it will be snug.  I have a good seamstress, so hopefully if anything is wrong, she can fix it.  I hope yours can too...

A little off topic, but still kind of on... I have been super bitchy about the wedding I am in, and it is my bff's and I am moh.  I feel like everything she tells me I need to do, or everything she complains about, I want to go off on her, because it comes across as selfish to me.  Have you noticed yourself being like that?  Or, even just annoyed with some of it???

I've definitely been annoyed and I can see where you're coming from! Since I don't even live in the same state, she hasn't asked me to do too much and she basically just keeps me up to date via email and text msg which is great.  I did get frustrated that I was expected to travel 3 different weekends in my 1st tri (I had very bad m/s) to be there for 2 separate showers, her bachelorette party, and other family events.  But she was in my wedding and very supportive so I try to put my best smile on for her and save the complaining/venting for DH or my mom :)

• I def feel your pain. A friend of min got enagaged and is gettign married in 7 weeks!!! Ahhh......my body changed by the min lol Luckily there is a lady at church that offered tomake my dress for free. We found the exact fabric and color and a really cute pattern, all for 45.00!!!!! Becasue the wedding is in cuch a short time we told us we coudl all wear whatever dress just has to be Apple color and long. Good luck, sorry to hear that!
  • I am SO glad you posted this~ I thought I was going crazy as I am in a wedding this weekend and have had nothing but problems with it!  I ended up having to buy 2 dresses just to take one apart and use as fabric because the pattern of the dress was impossible to find (its not just a plain color, it has an overlay!)  

I just had my final fitting, and $290 later (after 2 dresses and alterations) the dress fits but looks kinda frumpy...

The only thing I keep reminding myself of is that these are not my wedding pictures and I don't have to look at them so I'm trying hard not to worry if I look bad =)

• Imagine this:  (This was with my first pregnancy)  I agreed in December to be in a wedding in October.  I got pregnant (planned) in February and was due in November.  The wedding was for October 18th of that year.  The bride wanted us to have bridesmaid dresses no later than August 1st (2 1/2 months before the wedding).  It was a huge guessing game.  I'm normally a 4 or a 6, ordered a size 18 (to be safe), and it had to be taken in everywhere and made huge in the belly (with the extra fabric from the shawl).  Luckily it fit and looked just like all of the other dresses, but it was very dramatic.  Not to mention I felt like a beached whale trying to swim down the aisle in it.  Ugh.  I had my son two weeks later. 

All of that said to say:  if someone asks you to be in a wedding again before March, trust me, say no ;) lol 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"