Breastfeeding

Cleaning pump parts at work?

I've been trying to figure out the best way to clean my pump parts at work and thought I would see what everyone else does.  Currently I clean everything but the bottle itself with the Medela cleaning wipes but they are expensive and there are only 24 in a pack.  The bottles themselves I just rinse with water.  I don't have time to wash everything with soap and water.  I bought some of the microwave bags from Medela and thought I should try those but it says to wash them first with soap and water. 

What do you do?

Missing our Little Pumpkin BFP 2-19-09, MC 3-1-09 Mommy and Daddy miss you and love you so very much! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Cleaning pump parts at work?

• Most of the people that I work with that pump use the microwave bags. HTH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBrileyLou:

Most of the people that I work with that pump use the microwave bags. HTH!

Do you know if you can just rinse them and put them in the bag or do you have to wash them with soap and water first?

Missing our Little Pumpkin BFP 2-19-09, MC 3-1-09 Mommy and Daddy miss you and love you so very much! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was wondering the same thing.  Would rinsing the parts and wiping them down be sufficient between pumping sessions and then sterilize when you get home from work?
  • imageKennedy525:
    I was wondering the same thing.  Would rinsing the parts and wiping them down be sufficient between pumping sessions and then sterilize when you get home from work?

That's what I was wondering too.  Geez, this is confusing Big Smile

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I use the Medela wipes during the day but because I'm so...let's call it frugal, I actually cut them in half because I don't think I need a whole one to clean them.  I pump twice at work and then I clean them with hot water and soap when I get home.  I've been doing this for almost six weeks now and everything seems to be ok so I'm sticking with it.  This also helps because a) I don't have much time to clean them and b) I'm a teacher and don't want to have breast pump parts anymore than I have to.
  • I juts rinse my parts with water and microwave.. not sure if I am in the wrong or not. I have also depending on timing during the day just put my parts in a ziplock bag and put them in the refrigerator for the next pumping so I don't have to wash them. I bring enough collection bottles to not have to wash them until I get home.

If you are nervous could you buy another set of parts?? 

• If you have a refrigerator at work you can use, some ladies here have recommended putting your parts in a big ziploc bag and leave them there. I don't have that option, so I have been using the wipes between session (and yes, it gets expensive!). 

BM is also good for 8 hrs at room temperature, so you can leave them in a bag at room temperature--and it's good to go. But I haven't been able to figure out whether this last method would work for me, I feel like I need to "clean" or "wipe" the parts somehow before putting them back on the boobs during the next sessions. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • I leave mine in a ziploc in the fridge.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSTAR15:
    I leave mine in a ziploc in the fridge.

this.  it makes pumping a 2nd time a little cold but nothing can grow on them and then i don't have take extra time cleaning.  i found that i was going threw too many ziplocs so i take a spit up rag that someone made for us and wrap them up in there. 

• Since fresh breastmilk is supposed to be ok at room temperature for up to ten hours, I wrap the parts in a spare burpcloth and throw them in the pump bag, bottles into the insulated bag with the cooler, and wash parts with soap and water at night.  If its especially warm I'll rinse them off first, and if I'm out of the office and pumping in my car I'll use the wipes.
  • i leave mine in a ziploc in my cooler

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • I used to rinse the flanges after using them, but Medela recommends putting them in the fridge.  As far as bottles, get an accesory pack so you can have at least 4 bottles.  I bring 2 flanges, 4 bottles, tubing, and paper towels in my pump daily.  I also use a cooler bag and not the bag that comes with the pump.
  • I put the parts in a ziploc and put it in the fridge too.

As far as the bags, they are for sterilizing NOT cleaning.  There is a difference.  Now, if you still clean your parts with soap and water each night, I'm sure it won't be an issue, but I would not rely on the bags exclusively.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"