Infertility
Options

Genetic counseling?

OUR RE IS RECOMMENDING THIS ONE, YOU SPIT IN THE VIALS, IT COSTS 700. DH IS CONCERNED ABOUT THE COST, HE DOESNT THINK IT'S NECESSARY SINCE NOBODY IN OUR FAMILY HAS BEEN BORN WITH A DISEASE. OUR INSURANCE  WILL COVER THE COST, ONCE WE ARE ALREADY PREGNANT . JUST LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE
Fraternal twin boys born 1/12/12 at 36 weeks
Identical twin girls expected in March! 

Re: Genetic counseling?

• Options

is this testing for specific carrier genes?  Like CF and SMA?

Many of the genetic carrier testing offered prenatally and preconception are for diseases that aren't obviously running in families as a person may be a carrier for it, and only when 2 carrier people have children does a 25% chance of each their offspring have in inheriting the disease.  For instance, your mom is a carrier, but your dad isn't- so you nor any of your siblings would ever inherit the actual disease, but there is a 50% chance that you and your siblings are carriers like your mom.

My personal opinion is if the testing is covered once you are preg, then do it then, but it might be worth the $700 if you would do preimplantation diagnosis.

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We did all of the genetic testing pre IVF.  We figured since we are all ready doing all of this, what was one more thing. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was checked for the CF gene prior to doing IVF. After our 2 losses, we did karyotype testing on both my husband and I. We were able to get the karyotype for just under $600 but we called a few places to find the best prices.

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"