May 2011 Moms
Options

No Highlights

My doc told me that I shouldn't highlight my hair until after 20 weeks, so of course I'll wait because she told me to.

I was just wondering, for the ladies who highlight their hair what is your doctor's take on highlights during pregnancy?

imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: No Highlights

• Options
    My doc told me no straight COLOR until 14 weeks.... that's so far from now and I already look like a stringy mess!  I asked about foiled highlights and she said that should be ok, as long as i have really good ventilation. Still scared to go get touched up. 
  • Options
    I thought highlights were fine anytime, since the color doesn't sit right on your head (in foil)... but salon has to be well ventilated.  Of course, I understand sticking with what your OB says.
    Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been told to wait until after the 1st trimester, but I'm thinking of still waiting longer. I know people who've done without problems, but the chemicals kind of scare me off of doing it now.
    BFP 4/27/09, missed M/C 5/25/09, D&C 6/10/09 BFP 9/9/10, missed M/C 10/27/10, D&C 11/2/2010 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

honestly I would go with 20 weeks or more just to be safe. the chemicals once breathed in are harmfull to you and the baby. I will not color my hair till after these babies are out. I am too scared...

Anniversary

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Last time, the doctor told me to highlight away and there were no limits to when I could do it.
    PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm waiting until I'm out of the first tri - then I'm highlighting away!  My hair already looks nasty, good thing it's in perma-pony.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I work at a hair salon and I'm around the chemicals all day long.  I also just got my hair highlighted. The stylists that have been pregnant were around chemicals through out their entire pregnancies and would color their hair, too.  Their kids came out just fine Smile I'm not saying just because they did it, it's OK.... because I truly feel this is something dependent on the person and their doctor.

Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    My Acme Box last update 3/28/11
  • Options
    I also work in a salon and have colored numerous clients' hair who were expecting. It seems I always have a handful of clients who are pregnant and they too worry about the coloring. I tell them, to ease their minds, to stick with hilights since it's an off-scalp application, but have never had any pregnant clients experience anything negative from coloring. I too am due in May with our first baby and just colored my hair today. I think the precautions differ with doctors too. 
  • Options

I am a hair stylist. I understand waiting, but the concern isn't the breathing in of the chemicals. If it was why wouldn't doctors tell hairstylists that they had to stop working for the first trimester or so? They are concerned about the chemicals that leak in through your skin when they sit on you head. Even that is almost none. As long as it's in the foils there is no possibility of this.

I think your doctor is being a little overly conservative here.  Do what you want and what is right to you, of course, but know that most other doctors think it's fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"