Success after IF
Options

xp: WWND? If you lost your wedding ring.....

AND... it wasn't insured?

(side bar - INSURE YOUR WEDDING RING(S) TODAY if they're not insured)

Would you:

1.  Replace it.  $ is no object

2.  Replace the band so it's identical but put a fake stone (CZ or moissonite) as the center stone to help reduce costs.

3.  Replace it with something totally new and different - fake or real?

I've been agonizing over this for weeks now.

I'm slowly making my peace that it's probably really gone but I'm not so convinced that I'm ready to drop major cash to replace it.

I'm leaning towards popping $2k for the real (identical) band and then setting a fake center stone.  If by some miracle we find the original I can trade in the duplicate band for something else.

Thoughts?

Advice?

Smack over the head?  (seriously.... done this one to myself enough already) 

ETA:  This is the ring I lost but with an emerald cut center stone.

I loooooove(d) my ring!

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.

Re: xp: WWND? If you lost your wedding ring.....

• Options

Ugh, I'm so sorry you lost it.  Have you checked your HO policy?  I have a separate policy for my ring, but I know that HO usually covers some of the cost.  

I think I would replace the original, but it depends on how much the total would be.   

ETA:  And thanks for reminding me the importance of having it insured.  Many times I've considered terminating the policy to cut costs. 

• Options
    If our HO policy does not cover it, I would replace with a fake.  Most likely continue to wear this pregnancy fake that has now replaced my real wedding rings since I can't fit my regular ones anymore.
    2nd ectopic resulted in loss of tube. HSG revealed remaining tube is "severely torqued".
    IVF #1: ER 03/29/10; ET 04/01/10: transferred 2 embies; Beta #1 (9dp3dt)- 45; Beta #2 (11dp3dt)- 91= BFP
    FET#1: ET 04/18/12: transferred 4 embies; Beta #1: >2 = BFN
    IVF #2: ER 06/20/12; ET 6/25/12: transferred 2 embies; Beta #1 on 7/5/12= BFN
    8/16: hysteroscopy for polyp removal
    11/11: hysteroscopy #2 for yet another polyp removal
    FET#2: ET 12/15/12: transferred 3 embies; Beta #1 (9dp5dt): 12/24/12: 426; Beta #2 (11dp5dt): 845= BFP
    u/s 1/9= triplets!; miscarried all three on 1/10/13...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagecmw&tdm:

Ugh, I'm so sorry you lost it.  Have you checked your HO policy?  I have a separate policy for my ring, but I know that HO usually covers some of the cost.  

Our HO would cover part of it BUT.... it's considered a "suspicious loss" because there was no theft.  Basically anyone could just say they lost an expensive ring and cash in.

So.... ZERO coverage.

Yes... I've been sick over this for weeks.  Still hoping I'll find it and this will have all been a bad dream but the more we think about it the more we think it might have been stolen at a crowded food festival over Labor Day weekend.

It's not like me to just not know or remember where my ring is.  I remember putting it on that morning and noticing it wasn't there by the end of the day once we got home.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    I am one of the lucky ones with a jewelry retainer on our HO policy.  But if I did not have it insured, I would probably replace it with the real deal.  I can say that if you want to get a fake diamond for the center stone, there are good fakes and bad fakes.  The bad ones will turn cloudy in a few months time.  So go to reputable place for the CZ.  We have a jewelry store here that showcases everything in CZ and then you purchase the real diamond to go in the band.  And honestly, with their CZ I cannot tell the difference. 
    DH-NOA confirmed with TESE, ME-Unexplained After 1 Miscarriage, 6 IUI's, our little miracles are here. Proud Parents of Twins. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    We're Finally Three
  • Options
    I would replace my band and that is it. I might do a fake e-ring but not likely. Then I would hope that at the 5 or 10 yr mark DH would replace my e-ring (with something real).
  • Options
    imagehowleyshell:
    imagecmw&tdm:

Our HO would cover part of it BUT.... it's considered a "suspicious loss" because there was no theft.  Basically anyone could just say they lost an expensive ring and cash in.

So.... ZERO coverage.

Yes... I've been sick over this for weeks.  Still hoping I'll find it and this will have all been a bad dream but the more we think about it the more we think it might have been stolen at a crowded food festival over Labor Day weekend.

It's not like me to just not know or remember where my ring is.  I remember putting it on that morning and noticing it wasn't there by the end of the day once we got home.

Did you take it off or do you think that it may have just slipped off?  Once again, so sorry you're going through this.  I think I would just go ahead and replace (and insure) it.  It sucks to have to replace such an expensive item, but I think you will be happier to have the ring you loved back.  (It is gorgeous btw)  

• Options
    I'm cheap.  I wouldn't replace the ring at all.  I'd be more apt to leave it up to DH to use this as a future gift-giving occasion in order to restore the sentiment at least, but I wouldn't replace the ring "just because".  I'm sorry you lost it though.  It looks like it was beautiful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If we could swing it I would replace the band and the stone with the real deal.  If I couldn't spend the $ right now I would probably buy a cheap white gold wedding band and save up to get the real deal.  I would not get a fake one personally.

I have an e-ring and a wedding band.  If I lost my e-ring right now and didn't have insurance I probably wouldn't replace it for a long time assuming I still had my wedding right.  However, the replacement would be even better... ;)  If I lost my wedding band I would likely replace it immediately.  I love it.

Good luck.  I Hope that you do find it and you don't have to worry about it. 

Nothing to see here....
  • Options
    If the cash was not a problem I would replace it with the same thing real stones and all.  Then before even walking out of the store I would insure it!
  • Options

I would replace it with something pretty but fake and cheap or something very small (real) and cheap.

Of course this is different for everyone (and I'm not saying anyone is wrong for replacing with something $$$$ and real). 

However, after being married for several years the whole appeal of the diamonds have sort of worn off... don't get me wrong, I love my rings!  But, they're not important like they used to be, kwim?  I'd rather have the $10K or whatever insane amount of money it would cost to replace them for other things... to put towards a fab vacation with my family, toward the kids college funds... even if we had the cash laying around it would still kill me to spend it on jewelry. 

Again, no judgment here - if you've got the money and want them replaced for real by all means, go for it hon!!!  Just sharing my opinion.

• Options
    imagehannah&ben:

I'd rather have the $10K or whatever insane amount of money it would cost to replace them for other things... to put towards a fab vacation with my family, toward the kids college funds... even if we had the cash laying around it would still kill me to spend it on jewelry.  

This is the thing that's killing me.

I just can't seem to justify the $$ - especially if there's a cheaper way to replace it.

I just sent an e-mail and photo to a fake stone dealer (a few steps up from CZ) and it looks like they may be able to build a replica with all fake stones for under $2,000.  Even that's a lot of $ to me but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing the real deal.

I'm just sick over this.

Right now I'm wearing a $10 CZ from Wal Mart (mainly because it my line of work it's best to be clear that you're off the market).  I'd probably just leave it at that but I have a very small ring size and can't find one that fits well.  Just feeling it wiggle around all day is a constant reminder of the loss and it's making me upset so I'd like to get something else.

• Options

Oh wow, I just realized that since we cancelled our homeowners (we're currently living with my parents until we buy a new house in the spring), my ring is no longer insured.  Poop!

I would just buy the band again but that is what I wear on a daily basis.  I'm sure DH loves that the expensive engagement ring is sitting on my dresser every day instead of on my finger but I kept scratching DS with it so I switched to just the band.  I love my band, it is an eternity band, and I would be so sad if I lost it, I would definitely buy a new one.  Interestingly enough, I am not that attached to it sentimentally.  I would consider buying something completely different if I didnt love this one so much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-----Lisa-----
  • Options

first off i'm so sorry that happened. super stinks.

i would probably buy a band, and skip the engagement ring.  i'd let dh gift that sometime down the road.  good luck.

• Options
    Thinking about it some more after reading the other answers I think I would just buy a plain (real) gold band.  
  • Options

Wedding band= replaced instantly with another one

Engagement ring= no replacement til it was time to get an anniversary ring

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I know I'm late, and sorry this is going to be long but I totally understand and I'm so sorry. Your ring is gorgeous! I lost my engagement ring & wedding band when DD was a little over a month old. Like you, I really don't know how I lost it. I was barely leaving the house since DD was so young, and I noticed it was gone one evening after grocery shopping. It took me a very long time to accept that it's actually gone, but I think I'm almost there. It still kills me though. Crying

I know it's a material object, but to me it is the one "thing" that has an enormous amount of sentimental value. DH flew to downtown LA without my knowing & went shopping with my Mom for my e ring, and it was perfect. My band was custom made to fit, and I loved it as well. I did call my insurance agent, but our homeowners policy did not cover anything. I think it would have if there was a fire or a burglary or something, but not for a loss. He said the ring would have to have been insured separately. My next ring will definitely have insurance!

I would have loved to at least have the band replaced, but it wasn't cheap and we're not in a position financially to spend the $$ right now. DH did surprise me last Christmas with a new CZ ring (from the same jeweler, but a different design). So at least I have something to wear and feel like I'm married. LOL. I hope someday we can replace the whole set with a reproduction, but I don't see that happening for a very long time. Since you're having a hard time spending that much money, I would probably just replace the band if I were you.

Again, I'm sorry you lost your ring and I hope it turns up somewhere. (((HUGS))) 

• Options

Oh no!!

Well, I rocked a fake CZ for about a year or so while I was pregnant and after I had Bennett. (I finally gave in and had my real one sized. I lost my baby weight, but the ring still didn't fit comfortably.)

You wouldn't believe how many compliments I got on the fake!! I never knew whether to fess up and tell the person it was a fake or not. Ha!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"