1st Trimester

2nd time moms who had an epidural - give it to me straight

2»

Re: 2nd time moms who had an epidural - give it to me straight

• I didn't feel it at all. I wanted a natural labor very badly and was advised to get induced since I was 41.5 weeks pregnant and measuring large. Anyway, I got to 7 centimeters with no epidural on a boatload of pitocin. Now that hurts. The anesthesiologist offered me an epidural dispite my wishes not to be offered anything and told me that the pain I was in at the time would only be doubled once my membranes were ruptured.

I agreed to the epidural but probably won't go for one next time. My blood pressure dipped so low I really thought I might die. The nurse kept pumping with ephedrine to keep it up. Scary stuff.

• I am on the opposite side and will say "you can do it!"

I did it and full on back labor. I won't lie it hurt like a biatch but so worth every pain. Once baby is out the pain is totally gone and you feel great!

I was up walking and eating 3 turkey sandwiches! I only had motrin after also...wouldn't have it any other way.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemrs. kash:
    imagemeghanchrisaz:

imageInLoveWithBrett:
    I didnt feel a thing!! I had to ask when she was going to put it in and she was already done!  Swear! 

This!! I never even saw it.  I think I was concentrating on the contractions and not moving, I never even noticed anything. I've done it twice now, and fully plan on doing it again! 

This. I loved it. It was great. I ended up having a c-section but before that happened the epi was great.

My experience exactly

Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Honestly, I don't remember anything about how it felt or whether it hurt at all. I was so relieved to have the contractions stop that nothing mattered at that point. For #2, I'll be required to get a c-section and having them insert the needle is the least of my worries. The nice thing is that you can't see the needle or what they are doing and it's really quick. At most I would think it's like someone giving you a little pinch on the back.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagefluffybuns:

Just a really weird feeling is all I had while they were putting it in. No pain.

Also, for about 6 weeks after dd was born, I could feel an ache in the spot where they had put it in. I think that's rare, but normal.

Ditto to both of these.  I felt pressure when it was put in, and I have continued to have the ache in between the vertebrae where it was inserted randomly for almost 2.5 years now.  

I'm planning to go naturally this time around.  They didn't check me before giving the epi with DS, and it turns out I was already 8cm.   

Mommy to Seth (4) and Catherine Anne (13 mo.) Excited to welcome a third child in March of 2013!
  • Couldn't feel it! Couldn't even tell there was a tube coming out of me. The only thing I felt was the numbing shot she gave me before the epi. It felt like a normal shot. Just don't look at the needles and you will be fine! GL!
  • I'm terrified of needles and will be getting an epi again this time. I'm not going to lie- the numbing stuff stings and the actual epi is a lot of pressure, but it goes away quickly and is worth it in the end!

Also, I had pain in my back afterward for about a month- but again, better than suffering though back labor!

Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepigtails1031:

I am on the opposite side and will say "you can do it!"

I did it and full on back labor. I won't lie it hurt like a biatch but so worth every pain. Once baby is out the pain is totally gone and you feel great!

I was up walking and eating 3 turkey sandwiches! I only had motrin after also...wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh yeah, it's not a question of can I go natural.  If there are no complications I can and I will.  I'm more thinking of situations where I might need a c/s and would need the epi for that.

Thanks ladies - you have all made me feel so much better about this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The IV hurts way worse! 

Also once the epi starts working it feels exactly like when you go to the dentist and get your mouth numb! It was the same feeling from my lower stomach to my feet.

I talked the entire time when I was getting an epi, I didn't notice a thing. DH said he almost had a heart attack watching the needle and everything go into my spine. I guess it looks and sounds much worse than it is.  

• They didn't let me see the needle.  Besides, with my pain I would've stabbed myself with the needle for the relief. 

You'll be fine!  :)

• imageInLoveWithBrett:
    I didnt feel a thing!! I had to ask when she was going to put it in and she was already done!  Swear! 

This!

• imageluvdv8:

I'm terrified of needles and will be getting an epi again this time. I'm not going to lie- the numbing stuff stings and the actual epi is a lot of pressure, but it goes away quickly and is worth it in the end!

Also, I had pain in my back afterward for about a month- but again, better than suffering though back labor!

This...I didn't see anyone else say anything about this. It was like a sharp stinging pain that went down both of my sides. And the crazy thing is I was having bad contractions until the anesthesiologist got me set-up for the epi and then I felt no contractions!! (that is before he even did the epi) So maybe I just let my body relax knowing I was about to get relief? Either way it was a great decision!!! The pictures my mom took before the epi and after are NIGHT AND DAY! LOL I can laugh now...

• All I remember feeling was some pressure low in my back, then she was taping me up and done.  15 minutes later my contractions had tapered off into something resembling Braxton-Hicks contractions.  I admit that I was in enormous pain however since my water had broken but labor never came along on its own, so I was given Pitocin iafter about 8 hours of nothing happening, which brings the contractions more fast and furious than if they naturally build.  I had always planned for an epi though, so it wasn't a big deal to me to get one.  I hope for your sake that your labor and birth go how you want it to!  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • I just want to confirm what most everyone else is saying. I don't remember my epi hurting any more than a little pinch. And I was so terrified of it. If the only thing standing between you and the epi is fear that it will hurt or fear of needles---don't let that stop you! 
  • imagemrsbookworm:

imageInLoveWithBrett:

Ditto

yup. One little pinch with the shot that numbs the spot for the epi. that's it. didn't hurt coming out either.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Not as bad as labor pains!  I wanted to have a natural birth too but I wasn't going to torture myself if it got bad and it did.  Thank God for the Epidural!!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagePattypoundcake:
    I only got it when I was in the OR being prepped for my c/s. I never saw the needle, and my anesthesiologist was so quick. I had one contraction (I was not in active labor, this was random) while he was placing it but it was no real issue. And I hate needles with the fire of a thousand suns. 

sweet mother of mouldy meatballs Patty... that's one crazy ass siggy... LMAO.

• I didnt really feel mine. It was a little pinch, but really that will be the last thing on your mind when you are in labor. Just make sure to get it in plenty of time, lol I didnt know I was in labor, when in for a regular 36week apt and they checked me and told me I was 6cm and I was having a baby. So they broke my water and by the time I got epidural I was far along. I still felt  A LOT!

Good luck !

• I have a serious needle phobia. Drawing blood is so so so scary for me. But I'll be totally honest - when those contractions hit, I didn't care one bit about the needle. They were so darn painful that I didnt give the needle a thought. I was begging for it. ANd I can't even remember it being very painful. I think contractions were  a million times worse.
  • It is absolutely NOTHING compared to contractions. I didn't think it hurt at all compared to the other pain I was in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"