Working Moms

Mat Leave causing conflict for vacation time

I saved all of my vacation time for the year since I knew I was going on maternity leave in August.  I only took 6 weeks cause my boss was semi-worried/upset/unhappy that I was going to be out.  HR informed us both that I could use my vacation time after STD and be out a total of 10 weeks...12 if I chose to do full FMLA.   

At Tuesday's staff meeting boss tells us we can only roll over 10 days and wants us to use up any additional days.  So on Wednesday I emailed a request with 9 days since I have 20 days.  Today she emails me back approval but adds this nice message. 

I really dont know what to think of it.  Should I NOT take my vacation days since I was out on leave.  I am not taking my vacation time in big chunks but rather 1 day a week for the rest of the year so I wont really need coverage. 

Feedback is much appreciated.    

"Just want to make sure that we set up processes for X project during your vacation times.  Your now off 4 additional weeks at this point because DPU has  a wonderful benefits package and allows you to keep your vacation time off for a pregnancy.  While I would never not give you the time I could ask you to push it forward to next year since you can roll time over.  Let?s partner to make sure everything gets done and the project receives the same care when you?re gone?.:)

Thx

Re: Mat Leave causing conflict for vacation time

• One has nothing to to with the other.   Plus she needs grammar lessons.
    photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Is the email from the same person who gave the directive to use it or lose it?  I would reply back with the number of days you will lose and make sure it is clear that these hours will be lost.

They may not agree with the policy but shouldn't make you feel bad for following it either.  It's not like you were in the Riviera during your maternity leave!

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • I don't see the problem? You're doing what she asked, both in coming back from leave earlier than you technically needed to, and now taking your extra days so you don't need to roll them over. All she is asking is that the work gets done while you're out, which is not unreasonable, though perhaps unnecessary to state explicitly. Have a chat with the boss and figure out the best way to approach your vacation days - either using them or rolling them over again, and get any decision in writing.
  • I just hate that she is making me feel guilty for using my vacation days.  Almost like I should not have had a baby!

I will just assure her that I wont need coverage while I am out since the days are very spread out.

• She seems to be under the assumption that you are planning to use all 20 days. You might want to clear that up with her.

I agree that she should not make you feel guilty. At the same time, you should not let her. You earned the vacation time and you should be able to use it.

• Screw her! I used my leave and vacation days last time and plan to do the same this time!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • use EVERY SINGLE day that you are entitled to... does NOT matter what she thinks.  You earned those days- you use them. If she says things to make you feel guilty - go to HR. 

I had more vacation days left than work days when I was coming back from maternity leave- and asked my boss if it was OK if I used them all and then didn't return to work until January- instead of November (i went part time at that point, but had my full time vacation days from pre-maternity leave)....

He was OK with it- but mentioned that some higher ups might think it would look bad b/c i was out for so long (went out at 27 weeks b/c of the twin pg being high risk)... I knew what he was saying- and knew that I could do what i wanted and it wouldn't harm me- but that it would look BETTER if I didn't take that whole time off.... so instead I came back from maternity early on the books - but used my vacation days then... so i essentially got paid for the last month of my leave - then took a bunch of days at the end of the year.............

long story short - i used every day i had coming to me - just in a different way so it looked better to the company and those higher up who didn't know me personally...... since you are spacing yours out- i think that looks better than taking big chunks - so don't have any guilt about taking those days. If you don't- you lose out on "money" essentially... that is why they make you take them- because having them roll over = money owed to you on the books for finance....which is why most companies don't even do roll-overs anymore. (mine does not).

• Her job is to make sure that projects get done, and she said she wanted to talk to you about making sure that deadlines are kept.  Talk to her about it and develop a plan - she's just doing her job.
  • It sounds to me like there is some misunderstanding about rolling over time, stop with the email and have a conversation with both the email writer and who said you had to use or lose time. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"