March 2011 Moms
Options

Opinions on Diaper Genies & Wipe Warmers

I have heard a few people say that Diaper Genies suck (but from many years ago) and also that wipe warmers dry out the wipes.  What is your opinion on these two items?
Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Opinions on Diaper Genies & Wipe Warmers

• Options
    Other than what Baby Bargains says (which is good for both): the Diaper Genie II Elite is the most smell proof according to friends.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I say No on both.

We were always able to just throw the diaper in the trash. I think it might be necessary if you have a 2 story. Wipe warmer no need at all.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I liked my Diaper Genie Elite II but the wipe warmer is a waste, IMO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I say no to both
  • Options
    only thing I have heard is the bags for the genie can be expensive and the diaper champ can use regular trash bags. don't know anyone with a wipe warmer.
    Neil and Kristin 7-26-2008 image. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I wasn't a fan of the Diaper Gene but thought I was going to get one until a  friend recommended the Baby Trend Deluxe Diaper Champ.  I love it!  And you can use your own trash bags (they sell bags for it but you don't have to use only those).  You don't have to buy the special Diaper Gene ones. 

I didn't get a wipe warmer. I thought it was a waste of money.  DS never had a problem with wipes being "too cold". 

• Options

I don't think that either are neccessary.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Neither are necessary. BUT we love our diaper genie II elite and purely have it for the convenience.
  • Options
    Well I was planning on registering for them but then my SIL told me not to bother. She said they are a waste of time and money. She has a 5 year old and 2 year old.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We'll be CDing so no diaper genie for me.  I also remember a few wipe warmers were recalled awhile back so I'll skip that since it's not necessary.
  • Options

We loved our Diaper Genie II.  I went to a friends house who always said "we just throw them away, it's really no different"  I can tell you one thing: it WAS different!  I thought her whole downstairs smelled like urine.  I guess if you don't have a strong smeller it might not bother you, but I LOVED it--also, if you use the trash, you better be ready to empty it once or twice every day.  uck

the warmer was dumb imo!

• Options
    We are going with cloth diapers so we are using a covered (with foot pedal) garbage pail lined with a laundry bag for dirty diapers.  Wipe warmers are actually pretty helpful for cloth wipes so I can dampen a couple days' worth all at once and the wipe warmer will keep them from drying out.  If we weren't going with cloth, we would skip the wipe warmer.

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • Options

I won't be using either.

I have a perfectly good fancy shmancy steel garbage can with lid. And I think wipe warmers are just silly and unnecessary...it's not like my house is 40 degrees. lol.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I say NO on both.  They are both really a waste of money but the thing that gets me the most are wipe warmers.  If you plan on carrying this thing around everywhere thats great...but if you plan on going out and the wipes are cold also be prepared for your child to cry bloody murder when you wipe him/her.

I used to work at a day care and we knew when parents used wipe warmers because the children would scream as if we were hurting them, its really hard on them.  

We also had the diaper genies and they smelled extremely bad and they were NOT the old kind they were new but it was AWFUL. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker

imageimage

• Options
    I had a diaper genie with my DD who is now nearly 6. It was what my dad calls putting lipstick on a pig. It still smelled like diapers but with air freshener sprayed on them. They may better now. I will not be trying it again this time around. 
  • Options
    We are going cloth, so we'll be using a pail liner in a regular trash can.  Sorry I can't help you with better advice!

• Options

Wipes warmers are pointless.  Are you always going to have warm wipes when you're out at a store or visiting family/friends?  Probably not.  So, why bother--I'd rather my child just got used to room temperature wipes.

We didn't use any kind of fancy diaper pail until we started Ethan on more than breast milk.  Before that, we just used a regular lidded garbage can.  We have the Diaper Genie II (I think).

Ethan George 11.4.06 Marcus Harvey 3.4.11
  • Options

Iam pretty sure we are getting the diaper genie, my sil has it and says its great, she claims that they dont stink as much as they do when you stick them in the trash, having to take your trash out every day or twice a day, and we have super 2 min pins that love to get in the trash, I really dont want to find a nasty diaper ripped to shreds all over the house , yuck!

• Options
    I think the new Diaper Genie is much better.  I wish I had one.  We got a Diaper Dekor and it is only ok at keeping the stink out of the room.  We didn't get a wipes warmer b/c I heard they were a waste of money.  DS is fine with cool wipes.
  • Options
    As long as you have a trash can with a tight lid and take it out daily a diaper genie is a waste of money and as for the wipe warmers the wipe is only cold on first contact with the skin putting it between your hands for a second works just as well.
  • Options
    Definite NO to both things. Everyone we spoke to said the diaper genie is pointless. Throw the diapers in the garbage and take it out at night. As for the wipe warmer, I guess I can see the point (maybe), but we're not getting one.
  • Options
    We had a diaper genie for ds.  I hated it.  I threw it away.  It was gross.  We now use a garbage can with a lid, and change it daily.
  • Options
    I can't say anything about the wipe warmer because we didn't see the point in it, but I do have a diaper champ.  In our old house we threw out all the diapers in it and although it would be okay for a while, eventually it would still stink up DS room.  Over the past few months we started just taking out poop diapers and just putting wet diapers in the pail.  With a toddler that gets into every trashcan (seriously they are all up above 4 feet) it makes it nice that he can't get into the dirty diapers.

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

We love the Diaper Genie -it really does keep the stink factor down a lot imo.  Yes, you do have to buy the refills for it, but when DD was little (and therefore her diapers were little), 1 refill would last us 5-6 weeks so it wasn't a big deal.  We were originally going to get the Diaper Champ so we could use our own bags but after going to 2 friends houses who had them we decided to give the Genie a try and are glad we did.  

We never used the wipes warmer, it seemed a little excessive and I kept hearing how the kids get so used to them that then they can't tolerate regular, 'cold' wipes.

• Options

We loved our Diaper Champ with DD - there was no smell and it uses normal garbage bags. We'll use it with this one too.

We didn't have a diaper warmer until we brought DD home from the hospital and DH felt bad with her getting a cold wipe on the bum so he went and got a warmer. We used it until she was about a year old. It does dry out the wipes but you can add some water to help with that. We'll use it again with this one since we have it.  We do not have any kind of travel one and it certainly isn't a necessity.

• Options

Both are wastes of money.

Diaper Genie:  I refuse to spend that much on a glorified garbage can.  We have a covered trash can in our kitchen; it works fine.  Just take the garbage out daily (because regardless of what contraption you have, I don't understand just letting dirty diapers fester in your home for several days), and save some money.

Wipe warmer:  Never bothered with one, so I don't know whether or not it dries out wipes.  Just warm the wipe in your hand for a few seconds.  Besides, what would you do when you're out and about?

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"