Natural Birth
Options

Landon's Birth Timeline

Hey Ladies....my doula made a birth timeline for our new son and I thought  i would share it with you.  I posted my birthstory last week and thought this would also be great to share with a first time natural birther.  I really could not have done it without music, my midwife and my doula.....oh and the birthing tub was amazing.  Enjoy

September 19, 2010

Dear Landon Grey,

I was the doula during your transition from your Mother?s womb to the outside world. This is the story of your birth from my perspective. Around 2:00 A.M., your Mom?s water broke. She didn?t start having contractions right away so her midwife on call, Kelley, suggested that she come in to the hospital to be monitored. By the time your Mom got to Upper Chesapeake Medical Center and was examined by Kelley, she was having some contractions and she had already progressed to four centimeters dilated. By 9:00 A.M. the contractions were becoming stronger and more regular. Kelley checked your Mom at 9:30 A.M. and your Mom was five centimeters dilated and 100% effaced. You were in a -1 station. The intensity of your Mom?s contractions changed quickly so Kelley examined your Mom again about thirty minutes later and she was already six centimeters dilated. Your Mom?s labor was moving quickly and she was doing a great job working with it. At 10:45 A.M. she was able to get into the labor tub. She was able to relax in the water, listening to music and her body through the contractions. Your Mom was beginning to feel pressure around 12:20 P.M. so Kelley checked to see if things were continuing to progress. Your Mom was already eight centimeters dilated. Her body was starting to push, so your Mom moved out of the tub. At 12:45 P.M. Kelley checked to see if it was time to push yet and your Mom was almost completely dilated. She had just a bit of cervix left. Your Mom was still doing an amazing job staying in control. She changed positions in bed to encourage that last bit of cervix to move and eventually, at 1:34 P.M., your Mom was ten centimeters dilated. Everyone prepared for your birth and your Mom began the pushing phase. Within an hour, you were starting to crown. At 2:41 P.M., your Mother peacefully and gently birthed you into the world. You were placed on your Mom?s chest while your Dad announced that you were a boy and cut your umbilical cord. Because you were having a little trouble transitioning, you were taken to the warmer to be cared for by your nurse and the pediatrician on call. You weighed 7 pounds and 8 ounces and measured 19 inches long. When the pediatrician determined that you were just fine, you were given to your parents so that you could all bond and enjoy your first precious moments together. Your Mom initiated breastfeeding and you were showered in love by many family members. Your birth was beautiful! Your Mom was amazing. She worked hard to prepare herself physically and mentally for your birth and she stayed so strong, relaxed and focused through it. Your Dad was calm, caring and compassionate each step of the way. They made the perfect team. My prayers will be with you and your family, as you all learn and grow together. You are a real blessing and it was definitely a blessing to be part of your birth!

With love,

MaryBeth Nance, CD, CLD

Re: Landon's Birth Timeline

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"