Baby Names

Normand

I stumbled upon this name when I was thinking about the place name, Holland that someone posted a while ago. I like the sound...the round O and the ND, similar to Desmond and Edmund/Edmond.

What do you guys think? And more imporantly, why do you think it? :)

https://www.behindthename.com/name/normand

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image

Re: Normand

• I kind of like it. I don't think I would ever use it, but if I met someone with this name I would think it was an interesting name (and not in a bad way.) It reminds me of Normandy.
  • I'm not a fan. I would almost rather it were Normandy, the actual place name, rather than this abbreviated version. But, I'm not a fan of Desmond, Edmund, Norman, or Roman, either, so it makes sense that this one wouldn't strike me.

That said, I think it's a decent name for others to consider. I feel like most Americans will find the D awkwardly placed and it might end up with a somewhat slurred pronunciation--more like Norman.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm usually quite the fan of old man/old lady names, but Normand just doesn't do it for me.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• I don't care for Normand, but I do like Norman.
  • imagestrangebird:

I'm not a fan. I would almost rather it were Normandy, the actual place name, rather than this abbreviated version.

Normandy is one of my favorite place names (not on a person, but a name of a place), and I thought it over and I don't think I could have 'mandy' in a guys name. Otherwise, I do like the sound.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • The real reason I dislike it is by association. I worked with a really creepy guy named Norman once. So Normandy, Norm, Normand all get lumped into that.
  • imagebraveangel2:
    imagestrangebird:

I'm not a fan. I would almost rather it were Normandy, the actual place name, rather than this abbreviated version.

Normandy is one of my favorite place names (not on a person, but a name of a place), and I thought it over and I don't think I could have 'mandy' in a guys name. Otherwise, I do like the sound.

As I was typing that I was considering it for a child . . . and, I almost hate to say it, but I think using Normandy would swing the name over to the girls' side of things. "Mandy" plus the --ee sounding ending makes it too feminine. But I do agree with you, as a place name, Normandy is beautiful (as is the actual place: ).

• "Ah, Norm, you got Arby's all over me!"

I can't decide if I like it. Automatically, I think of Fargo (though I don't think her husband is referred to as anything other than Norm).

Something about it seems a lot geekier than Desmond (love) and Edmund (like).

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Personally It's not my style for a baby.  My cousin has a dog named Normand and its an adorable fit for him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's like Nomad or Norman spelled wrong. Not a fan.
  • I prefer Norman.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • This is one of those names that I think sounds a lot better in other languages than in English. I know a couple of Normandos and I like it in Spanish, but it sounds odd to me in English, like Norberto v. Norbert and Humberto v. Humbert. I think these are all originally Anglo-Saxon names, yet they somehow have a nicer ring (and are more widely used) in Spanish.

Desmond, however, I LOVE. Too bad I have a bad neighbor with this name.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"