Cincinnati Babies
Options

Anyone go to an Allergist?

My allergies have bothered me for years and I'm getting sick of all the sinus infections. My doctor recommended I look into allergy testing and maybe shots. Does anyone do this? Have any great success stories to tell me? I'm so tired of suffering everytime the seasons change.

Re: Anyone go to an Allergist?

• Options

I went through it in junior high and high school and would do it again - it made that much of a difference.

Be prepared though, depending on your allergies, it may take some time. Mine took years to be fully completel with my desensitization shots. You start out going once a week, then once every 2 weeks...3 weeks....4 weeks.....you get the picture. At one point when I was at every 4 weeks, I was driving myself and skipped an appointment and they put me back at every 3 weeks, so if you are going to start, you need to really commit to it.

• Options
    i got 2 shots weekly for 8 years and i still get all nasty during the summer/spring/fall. it helped a bit but it wasn't a miracle either. it is a total pain to go there every week and vacation time and holidays and yada yada. it can get really expensive if you have to pay a copay for your shots too. i saw dr. skurow from tri-county ENT. he is a great doctor that helped me with a lot of my ENT/allergy issues but shots are definitely something you really have to commit yourself to.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I see Dr. Lawrence Newman at Allergy and Asthma Associates
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I do but I am not going to be much help with recommending a Dr since I am in Dayton. I go to an allergist and get shots now. Do I still have issues with my allergies? Absolutely.  That said when they tested me I was told I have some of the worst they had seen. I am allergic to just about everything outside and a few other things. Almost everything is environmental.  I had an anaphylactic reaction when I was in high school and ended up in the hospital. They still don't really know what caused the reaction.

I have been going since May of 2008. I am now going every 4 weeks. I will have to agree with pp in that it takes a lot of committment.  I am actually trying to figure out if the shots are making me better enough to convince me to keep going or if I stopped would it really not make a difference.  I think for a lot of people it makes a big difference. I just am not sure if I am that person.  This allergy season has been the worst I can remember.  Oh & it can get pretty costly depending on your insurance.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    I go to cincinnati allergy and asthma. doctors and nurse practioners are AWESOME! They have at least three locations in cinci.
  • Options

DD goes to Cinti Allergy and Asthma and we are very happy with them after a bad experience with a Children's Hospital physician.  DD has both food and seasonal allergies.  I have been soooo miserable for a long time with mine and I often think "I should really make an appmt. for me eventually" LOL

• Options
    I see Dr. Fisher with Group Health Associates.  I have to say that while I still have some symptoms they are much more manageable now than before I started going.  Good luck!  I hope seeing an allergist helps you feel better!
  • Options
    imagebgsugrad:

DD goes to Cinti Allergy and Asthma and we are very happy with them after a bad experience with a Children's Hospital physician.  DD has both food and seasonal allergies.  I have been soooo miserable for a long time with mine and I often think "I should really make an appmt. for me eventually" LOL

You now have me totally curious because I used to work with some of them. lol 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"