April 2011 Moms

NT scan blood work- thoughts?

I had my scan done this past Tuesday and did the blood work right after.  I was told it is done in 2 parts and the second half will get done once I'm 16 weeks.  So, I won't get my full results until my next appointment at the end of NEXT month.  

Flash back 4 years ago with DS - I did a finger prick, blotted it on a test paper, mailed it in before my NT scan and got the full results with a print out on the same day.  

Not liking the new method but I was told that the false positive rate is only 3% when done integrated this way.  What I don't get, what IF there was a problem - you don't find out until 16 weeks?  Not that I would do anything...but it's just a long time to make a mama wait! 

Also, I don't think I will need to do the AFP b/w at 16 weeks due to the 2 parts of the b/w.  I think with DS, I did the NT and AFP but the NT b/w was only one part, like I mentioned.  Just so strange how each office is different.  I guess this way is more accurate? 

Re: NT scan blood work- thoughts?

• Unless I'm wrong, I thought the second part of the blood work was the AFP.  Those results plus the earlier ones plus the NT scan paint the most accurate picture (since each one is only a screening test -- a collection of factors to create an odds ratio of risk -- not a diagnostic.)

As for waiting ... even if your results came back indicating high risk, you'd still have to wait until you were far enough along to do an amnio to definitively diagnose whether there's a problem.  So "knowing" early doesn't really tell you much anyway.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I actually just got off the phone to answer my own question, LOL.  They said that this way is more accurate and it's changed since my last pregnancy.  I'm glad at least my range was normal for the NT scan but praying my b/w doesn't show up with anything.  She assured me that I'm not AMA so to relax.  Sigh...
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNechie122:

Unless I'm wrong, I thought the second part of the blood work was the AFP.  Those results plus the earlier ones plus the NT scan paint the most accurate picture (since each one is only a screening test -- a collection of factors to create an odds ratio of risk -- not a diagnostic.)

As for waiting ... even if your results came back indicating high risk, you'd still have to wait until you were far enough along to do an amnio to definitively diagnose whether there's a problem.  So "knowing" early doesn't really tell you much anyway.

According to who I spoke to at my OBGYN's, she said it's not the AFP but more accurate...so I guess you could say it replaces the AFP, kwim? 

• I had the NT scan and one bloodtest with DS#2 as well.  This newer, two bloodtest method gives more accurate results (catches more problems, less false positives).  I pushed back too, saying I didn't want to wait until 16 weeks but the office assured my that if something comes up on the first test that says I'm at increased risk they cancel the second part of the test and call right away so I'd still have time to do a CVS or other testing if I want. 

So if there is a problem...you'd find out in about a week or so (or that's what my place said anyway).   

• Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.  I stand corrected!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"