Trouble TTC

OOP vent

DH and I are on separate insurance policies because it is cheaper for us each to go through our own job. We've been paying for all our testing OOP, since I have no IF coverage. He has some coverage (although we can't get a straight answer as to what exactly they will cover). I have paid close to $300 for lab work. He got his SA, which was billed at $120, but the insurance company negotiated a rate of $18. Yes, a $100 discount for the insurance company. I have to pay $15 for a blood draw, but if my insurace covers it, they only have to pay $3. I don't even want to know what kind of a discount they get for the pricier stuff.

So not only do I have to pay OOP for anything IF related, I have to pay MORE than those people who have IF coverage. Somehow this seems completely backwards...  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
my blog: Journey to Somewhere
~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
Photobucket
April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: OOP vent

• :( I'm sorry! That sucks!
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • Yes it is frustrating because we OOP def. pay more than what insurance companies have to pay for the same procedures.

The insurance companies are the big "customers" and individuals are not so unfortunately we get doubly screwed.

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are 100% OOP as well and my RE's office does offer a discount on *some* of the testing, but in the long run- it's so minimal that it almost doesn't matter. I agree- it's very frustrating!
    photo dune-1-1.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagemdluv21:

Yes it is frustrating because we OOP def. pay more than what insurance companies have to pay for the same procedures.

The insurance companies are the big "customers" and individuals are not so unfortunately we get doubly screwed.

Really aaawww that sucks...I never looked at it this way.

Cherish yesterday, Live today and always Dream for tomorrow!?
  • Apparently it doesn't get any easier once you do conceive.  When my sister got prego & went for her first appointment, she got put on a payment plan for her delivery that has to be paid in full by her 7th month.  The only good thing about it is she'll have it paid before the baby comes instead of going home w/ the new bundle of joy & getting a huge bill in the mail :/
  • imagecaschaeffer:
    Apparently it doesn't get any easier once you do conceive.  When my sister got prego & went for her first appointment, she got put on a payment plan for her delivery that has to be paid in full by her 7th month.  The only good thing about it is she'll have it paid before the baby comes instead of going home w/ the new bundle of joy & getting a huge bill in the mail :/

At least I have coverage for everything else (including acupuncture, go figure). I can't imagine how hard things are for people who don't have *any* insurance. I will stay off my soap box about the US health care system.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"