March 2011 Moms

Gender Reveal Party Question

Ok so I was browsing online looking for invites for our gender reveal party and I came across some angry nasty people who find this absolutly silly and ridiculous and worst of all self centered. Now, because I am emotional, I am feeling bad about wanting to share this news with our family.

My DH and I have never agreed on whether to know the sex of the baby and this seemed to be a fun compromise that we are both excited about. I also like the idea of doing it after Thanksgiving when my mom is here since she will miss any showers that are thrown for me. Lastly, I have friends who gave me the idea and although we were going to incorporate this into a shower I didn't think it was fair to tell my shower people what to do as well as pick which group of people would be at the shower since it will be either family or friends...

Ok so what do you think? Be honest but really don't think I am self centered I just love throwing parties and cooking food for people.

Re: Gender Reveal Party Question

• There's nothing wrong with them. I was thinking about throwing one when we found out, but I would have had to wait a week and I couldn't keep a secret! Plus, I was feeling the fatigue return a bit so the idea of planning, cooking, baking...I just decided to spill the beans sans party...lol.

Don't let the others get you down. If you want to host a party to share some good news, by all means, you should be able to!

my blog - cheese & cheesecake

Me: 31, DH: 34, Married 5/29/05
    BFP #1: 6/22/10, EDD 3/6/11, DS born 2/25/11 @ 38w5d
    BFP #2: 7/27/13, EDD 4/9/14, CP 8/3/13
    BFP #3: 8/31/13, EDD 5/10/13, DD born med-free 5/9/14 @ 39w6d 
  • I started getting nervous about ours right before sending out an invite as well. There are a lot of negative people out there. Just keep in mind, your friends and family DO want to know and they ARE excited for YOU. 

I asked a few of my closest friends to get their honest opinions on it. I figure it isn't as selfish as people make it out to be because some people ask us EVERY time they see us if we know yet.

The way we are planning to do it is with cupcakes. I was going to make them myself, but my husband didn't want to find out until everyone else did at the party, so I know I can't keep that from him for an entire week. We are going to take the envelope to a baker and she will put pink or blue batter into the middle of white cupcakes with white icing.

We simply sent an evite to friends and family. I wanted to be clear and indicate that it wasn't a huge deal, just a get together for the sake of seeing everyone and they get to be one of the first to know, finding out at the same time we do. Everyone has had such positive replies and they are all so excited about it.

We included a poll on the evite as well, so everyone can vote for whether they think the announcement will be boy or girl.

We chose a Surprise Party image for the evite as well and everyone got a kick out of that.

Last - I sent a message to the guests that this is not the shower, there will be a shower in December, we just want to have them come, hang out, have fun, and be the first to know!

We won't be sending the shower invites until the day after the gender reveal party since we want to make the invitation pink or blue  :) 

Bean Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Bean Part Deux BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The negative people, their families are not YOUR family.  Do what works for you and have fun.   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Our Fur-babies: Oliver, Leela, & Neville Our Puppies
  • My inviations have already been sent out.  I haven't heard any negativity from people around me, but I've read it online. 

We're not incorporating it into a shower though.  This is just a party we're putting on with a few stupid games and food for those close around us. 

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I plan on having a really small one for family. I have never heard anything bad about them. who cares what they think though? Do it if you want!!!
    Keeping my fingers crossed for my BFP Buddy STL34!!! CafeMom Tickers
  • Screw all of the negative people out there!!  Do whatever the heck you want to do.  We're not doing it because we're the type that want to know right away, and I'm the type who will tell the world as soon as I know.  But I would never label people who do want to have them as being self-centered and ridiculous.  Maybe the negative people are just jealous because no one likes them, so they wouldn't have anyone to invite to such a party.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • For me, this falls under "to each their own". Not my style though.

We're finding out the gender and not telling anyone else. Our families are into the typical gender stereotypes and we'd like to avoid 7 tons of pink frilly dresses or blue sweat suits that say GO TEAM!

• Thanks for this all!!! You are right! To each their own we're doing it.. I still don't want tons of frilly or go teams though either so I will just hope for the best with that!

• to be perfectly honest... that might be the gayest thing I have ever heard in my life.

I am so sorry. not trying to be mean or caddy... but if I got an invite to that thing I'd probably make fun of it for like 3 months.

• imagekfischette:

to be perfectly honest... that might be the gayest thing I have ever heard in my life.

I am so sorry. not trying to be mean or caddy... but if I got an invite to that thing I'd probably make fun of it for like 3 months.

Wow.  Really?  We couldn't word it a different way? 

• well once I saw the original post-person was from Brooklyn, I guess I felt comfortable talking to her the way I would anyone else from around here. 

Since that was my original reaction when I read the post, thats the way I phrased it.

Everyone has their own way- and in new york, we tend to be more direct and animated with our words... sorry if your offended. 

• My strongest thought about your plans is just the Thanksgiving part - for me, our friends would probably be out of town then. 

As for the whole gender reveal party concept...  I had never heard of them before this board.  They're not something I'm interested in doing, and I think if I was invited to one that I would worry I would need to bring a gift to that and to the subsequent baby shower (money is tight, especially with our own baby on the way, it's a worry!). I can see how they could be cute and fun though, and if you just love throwing parties and cooking food for people, then I say go for it.

*tap tap* Is this thing on?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"