TTC after 35
Options

1st RE Appt. Scheduled (& nervous!)

I have my 1st RE consult in 2 weeks.

I'm 37.5 (and counting!), have never been pregnant & have to this point NO evidence that I am ovulating on my own :-/ MH is 38, married 1 1 /2 yrs. He did have a SA, the results of which were good.

MAJOR plus: our insurance covers everything with little-to-no, out-of-pocket expense: diagnostics, treatments, fertility medications as needed (please don't be envious; it's the only stroke of "luck" I think we've had since we've been married! The same insurance won't even cover a *nuclear* stress test for MH who was suspected of having a minor heart attack...go figure!).

NOT such a plus: my anxieties about my age, the milllion + things that can br "wrong," explainable or not, treatable or not, could very well interfere with my conceiving; I understand that! :-/

I know  most of us MUST have had this thought at some point but why can't it all work out simply & quickly & "the old-fashioned way?!" lol. I know for some it has ;) but I wish none of us needed this crazy, anxiety-inducing stuff! I'm grateful medicine and technology have come so far, of course, but...

Sigh. Rant over. Thank you for tolerating that!

A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
imageimage
"5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 1st RE Appt. Scheduled (& nervous!)

• Options

Jamie,

I understanding and feel your frustration.  I am 42.5, never been pregnant and just got married for the first time in May.  My DH has a 13 year-old daughter and we want one of our own.  I was nervous at our first RE appointment.  We spent almost 3 hours there and that is filling out paperwork, talking over an hour with the doctor about anything and everything and meeting with the nurse and then to the finance office.  I felt so old leaving there.  My DH has been great.

We have already gone through the internal ultrasound, the hormone level check, and yesterday was my HSG (which is where they inject dye into the uterus to make sure the tubes are open.  Everything is good.  But we still aren't getting pregnant.  It can be frustrating.

But at least keep in mind, you are under 40 and your chances are better.  I know it can get frustrating but try not to let it get you down.  My DH has been my coach in encouragement.  When I start feeling down, he brings me back up.

I too, wish we didn't have to go through all of this and could just get it done the old-fashioned way.  But I guess not everyone is that luck.

Please feel free to rant to me anytime.  If you want, you can add me as a friend and rant in private messages.

Best of luck to you and your husband!

Julie Trying to Conceive Ticker PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options

Good luck!  I'm 37.5 as well and I first saw my RE in August.  We are through most of the testing and everything is looking good except still no BFP.  It is frustrating for sure and sometimes it is hard to stay positive, but that's why it is great to come to this board.  You don't feel so all alone.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Jaime, I know exactly how you feel! I called last week for my first appointment which is 10/18. It was really tough to make that phone call, since part of me doesn't want to know if there's a problem.  Having the appointment on the calendar makes it all seem very real. Not that it's at the same level, but it reminds me of when my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer.  When the doctors first thought there might be a problem she dragged her feet at getting the additional testing done, I think partly because she didn't want to "know" what she suspected. 

Just remember that at 37 1/2 (I'm probably a month or two younger than you!), we are youngins in terms of fertility treatment in NY/NJ. It stinks that we have to go through this stuff, but we should be thankful that there are treatment options available unlike years ago.

My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 4/10, Dx: MFI IVF planned for April/May
  • Options

I have my 1st RE appointment to TTC our 2nd child, but I remember how I felt just making the call the first time.  DH and I were both ready to start and already knew we'd need help (health issues on my part). I had been waiting for that moment so long and then I got so anxious just making the call.  Even more anxious when I got the meds in the mail! 

Anyway,  GL and keep us posted!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I guess I don't care about the old fashioned way.  I say whatever means necessary at this point.  :)

-Pix

About me: A pixie in the city, 41, TTC #1 since May 2010, married 18 years. Diagnosed with, surgically removed, endometrioma Aug.2010 Sept 2010 IUI #1=BFN, Oct=cyst/bfn, Nov 2010 IUI #2 = bfn. Had to postpone IUI #3 b/c of a cyst natural=BFN. Skipped IUI #3, decided to go for IVF. Found/removed uterine polyps Jan 2011. IVF cancelled, no follicles. IVF #2: 3 great embies put in on Easter Sunday = BFN. Hoping for another chance at IVF in July. TTC is NOT for wimps. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/2fab90/ttc.png
  • Options

Thanks, ladies :)

Pixie: don't get me wrong, I sooo don't care about "the old fashioned way" lol, I'm with you on "whatever works!" but I just wish it were all EASY!! ;) 

A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

• Options

I know, sweetie.  I shouldn't put in such short responses.  I've just swept all those feelings under the rug at this point.  Sadly we are past easy.  Good luck at your RE appointment.  I remember mine was just 2 months ago. I've already had a surgery and an IUI procedure.  can u believe that!? and now I'm about to POAS post IUI!!  and by letting go of easy (which really isn't all that easy as we've learned), you're getting closer, too!  (and gosh hopefully so am I)

-Pix

About me: A pixie in the city, 41, TTC #1 since May 2010, married 18 years. Diagnosed with, surgically removed, endometrioma Aug.2010 Sept 2010 IUI #1=BFN, Oct=cyst/bfn, Nov 2010 IUI #2 = bfn. Had to postpone IUI #3 b/c of a cyst natural=BFN. Skipped IUI #3, decided to go for IVF. Found/removed uterine polyps Jan 2011. IVF cancelled, no follicles. IVF #2: 3 great embies put in on Easter Sunday = BFN. Hoping for another chance at IVF in July. TTC is NOT for wimps. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/2fab90/ttc.png
  • Options

You are lucky that the insurance is paying for everything.  yeah I'm just a little bit green cause my insurance pays for absolutly nothing.  If  "the old fashion way" or clomid doesnt work I may have to give up my dreams of another child.  I have to chose between a new home or technology and for my husband the new home wins.

I'm 37.25 and have one child.  She has 4 imaginary friends. 

I hope technology or mother nature or both are your friends. {{hugs}}

good luck and welcome

• Options
    What insurance do you have? Mine doesn't cover anything except diagnosis (the initital testing) and then surgery if needed to correct any physicial problems.  But nothing for hubby or anything like fertility drugs or IVF.  This whole process is so mind-boggling.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    History of IF and 2.5 years TTC. The day we were to start our first IUI we received a call that changed our lives forever and 10 month old Olivia joined our family. Shortly thereafter we got a surprise BFP and baby 2 is due July 5, 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"