Them: "Right, but when is your c-section?"

Me: "We're not having one, at least not voluntarily."

Them: *confused look*

Me: "We're having a natural birth."

Them: *more confused look*

:: sad ::

Re: "When is your c-section?"

• Options
    i've had several people ask me that as well.
  • Options

Strange (and scary), isn't it?  When I was pregnant with DS, a lady that works downstairs asked me, "Are you waiting until you go into labor?"

"To stop working?"

"No, like, to have the baby."

:confused:: "Umm, yeah... I'm planning a med-free birth."

"Oh, okay."

Tongue Tied

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Confused what is our world coming to? 
  • Options
    It's so very sad to me that there are people who think sections are the norm. 
    Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Options

I was talking to another mom recently about her second birth. She said her first birth was so fast, simple, and almost pain-free. She was worried for her second that she wouldn't be able to get to the hospital in time for an epidural, so she convinced her doctor to induce her at 38 weeks.

I thought it was sad that with such an easy fast birth, she still assumed she needed an epidural and went to lengths to get it. And it was also sad that another expectant mom there at the time said "Oh that's awesome - I'm going to ask my OB if he will induce me earlier this time too!"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Craziness.  I am glad I haven't run into that up here.  While our OB practices don't get great reviews for c/s rates, I've never been asked when my c/s is or if I'll get induced way before my EDD. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had a client who prided herself in having 3 kids and 0 contractions because they were all scheduled c-sections. She went on to tell me how risky natural birth is compared the controlled setting of a surgery room. . . . seriously.

• Options

imagerochella:
    That's just bizarre.  I've been asked if I was going to be induced.  Um, why would I be induced, just for sh!ts and giggles?  I have no medical reason to be... my OB won't even schedule non-medical inductions until 40 weeks, b!tch.

But Rochella, don't you want to pick the birthday?? All you have to do is start Pitocin, blocking natural endorphin release, causing stronger contractions, which increase your likelihood of getting an epidural, having a longer pushing phase, leading to a distressed LO, who needs an emergency c-section... and you get to PICK THE BIRTHDAY!!

• Options

imagerochella:
    That's just bizarre.  I've been asked if I was going to be induced.  Um, why would I be induced, just for sh!ts and giggles?  I have no medical reason to be... my OB won't even schedule non-medical inductions until 40 weeks, b!tch.

But Rochella, don't you want to pick the birthday?? All you have to do is start Pitocin, blocking natural endorphin release, causing stronger contractions, which increase your likelihood of getting an epidural, having a longer pushing phase, leading to a distressed LO, who needs an emergency c-section... and you get to PICK THE BIRTHDAY!! Stick out tongue

• Options
    imageDonnaAndJay:

I had a client who prided herself in having 3 kids and 0 contractions because they were all scheduled c-sections. She went on to tell me how risky natural birth is compared the controlled setting of a surgery room. . . . seriously.

You know what's really embarassing to admit?  I actually thought like this about three years ago.  I was all about elective c-sections and I thought natural birth was a complete waste of time.

Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Day Three
  • Options
    You should make a video of these convo's for youtube. 
  • Options
    imageAutumnBride929:
    imageDonnaAndJay:

You know what's really embarassing to admit?  I actually thought like this about three years ago.  I was all about elective c-sections and I thought natural birth was a complete waste of time.

And I don't mean to be a natural birth snob. C-sections are a great option for some moms and it's amazing what surgeons can do. It's just not in my cup of tea.

• Options
    imageDonnaAndJay:
    imageAutumnBride929:
    imageDonnaAndJay:

And I don't mean to be a natural birth snob. C-sections are a great option for some moms and it's amazing what surgeons can do. It's just not in my cup of tea.

Oh, hello no, c-sections are not my cup of tea either, haha.  I was just basically saying it's amazing how dumb I was, lol!

Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Day Three
  • Options
    Whaaaaaaaaat?! These conversations are just mind blowing. I didn't think it had progressed to that point in society. Most of the girls I know waited for labor or at least went way over and were induced, but maybe we're in a hippy area or something :) It's just crazy to assume everyone gets a c-section these days!
  • Options
    Wow, people really think like that? How strange. And depressing.
  • Options

I got to meet one of the doctors in my MW practice bc my appt got rescheduled and he was the one available. But there was a MW-in-training shadowing him. He said some things to me before he realized that I'm one of those rare natural birth moms.

We were talking about weight gain, and he said, "Are you planning on breast feeding?" to which I replied, "Definitely." He added, "Then you'll burn 500 calories a day doing that." I then added, "Among other very important benefits." I'm not saying that he believes that is the only benefit of breast feeding and I guess some women would appreciate the judge free approach, but should our docs be advocating bfing?!?! And not just for the calorie burn? 

I don't know how this came up later, but I told him jokingly that I don't want to see him at the delivery. I actually told him (Go me!) that he's a trained surgeon and has no place at my natural birth unless I'm high risk. He joked back that if I needed it, he'd love to do my c/s. But then he completely agreed with me and told me that's why he's in a practice with MWs. When I was leaving, he said, "I'm going to stop in and see you in the deliver room." I said, "I'll be in the water tub!"  

• Options
    My mom asked me that! GRRRRRR.....
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Options

When we first announced that I was pregnant, the very first thing my MIL did was tell my husband that I should just plan on a scheduled c-section. Her reasoning: 

1- all three of her boys were born by c-section and it was so nice to not have contractions

2- it's SO much more convenient

3- and it's SO much safer!

She also told me the breastfeeding is a complete waste of time. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"