D.C. Area Babies
Options

Kids sharing a room...need some suggestions

The boys started sharing a room about 2 months ago and it is working out really well accept for the clothing situation.  We only have 3 bedrooms upstairs so when the baby comes all of his/her clothes will be going in the baby room which is where C's are now.  I am trying to figure out how to fit two boys clothes in one bedroom to make room for babies. 

If your kids share a room what did you do?  If not, any suggestions how to condense without having to search through deep drawers?

I am starting to freak out a little bit about the space for 3.  I sorted through books last night and am starting to sort through toys now...

Re: Kids sharing a room...need some suggestions

• Options

Can you utilize the space under beds/cribs? I assume you're saving DS1 clothes for DS2.  You could put those in SpaceBags, even under your bed to save space until they are needed.

Also what is the size of the closet in the shared room?  Could you put in closet system or at least a bar lower too (so, one bar for hanging at normal height & one that would be under it, approx the height of an adult's shirt)

And, finally, don't forget your vertical space.  Maybe consider putting in shelves or a shelf all the way around the room near the ceiling to put things that aren't used all the time.

I don't have multiple kids, but I do live in a small house with very small closets!

• Options
    Do you have double bars and shelves in your closets?  It really makes a big difference space wise.  You can also try to limit clothes in the room to the current season and store out of season clothes under the bed or elsewhere in the house. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We moved the girls into a shared room a month ago, and we spent about $200 at Home Depot to create a Rubbermaid brand closet system.  DH went to buy the stuff and apparently lucked out because one of the Home Depot guys helped him plan out the system and helped him figure out what parts he needed to buy.  It came out really well and I was dreading it because I thought it was going to be way more expensive than it was.  The closet is not big, but I think we are using the space in there about as well as you can.  We have two bars for hanging clothes (well, more like 1 and a half) and then several shelves, a wire drawer, and a shoe rack.

The girls share a 7 drawer dresser, and then DD #1 has a captain's style bed with four drawers underneath.

Spacewise have more room in the closet than in the drawers, so we are hanging a lot of their clothes - even just the playclothes (shirts/pants), not just dresses and stuff.  Even though on laundry day it's a pain because it's more time consuming hanging up all those clothes rather than tossing them in a drawer... it just works better because we can fit a lot of hanging clothes in that closet.  We have room to spare, which is good, because as they get bigger I assume their clothes will take up more space.

ETA:  And ditto pp, I rotate the clothes 4 -5 times a year, and put out of season clothes in storage spacesaver bags and put them in a guest room closet.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

DS' room and our guest room both have VERY small closets, so we got these:

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3902712

It's been very helpful so far, but we may need to invest in a legit closet system as DS gets bigger and his clothes get bigger. On the bright side, this was a very cheap solution.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My 2 oldest share a room. We have a dresser in the room and then our closets were all profesionally done so we have a double hanging rack, drawers and shevles so that is where the majority of my oldest puts her clothing. My baby has the biggest closet so for winter time that is where we put all the girls coats/hats/etc because her clothes dont take up so much space!
  • Options

imagekirnat848:
    ...our closets were all profesionally done...

This has been a dream of mine since buying our house, but we just haven't had the $$.  Someday!  Who did you use?

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

you can also buy cheap (Target has them) over the door hooks, and put heavy items like jackets there. We have them in the bedrooms as well as the bathroom for all those baby hooded towels.

this is what I mean: https://www.target.com/s?keywords=over+the+door+hook&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&ref=sr_bx_1_1

• Options
    Thank you so much ladies!  DH is going to try putting in some shelving because we only have one top shelf that I can't reach anyway.  We have been using storage bins for out of season clothes but I think we are going to invest in some of those space saver bags since I'll have easier access if I put them under my bed instead of in our garage!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"