High-Risk Pregnancy

Down syndrome risk (soft marker) and amnio

Did anyone have an amnio done? We have a soft marker for down syndrome (short femur and humerus) and our blood work came back with an elevated risk (1/110). We are thinking we want the amnio since we are feeling miserable, but we are also very scared. If anything happened to the baby, we'd never forgive ourselves. Has anyone gone through this?

Thanks. 

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Down syndrome risk (soft marker) and amnio

• my mom had an amnio (not bc DS marker) but because she had my little brother when she was 42....she did great and my little brother was born healthy and full term :)  Good luck to you.
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • I had an amnio done. In my opinion, it was no big deal. We watched the needle in the u/s and the mfm took her time. I felt fine and was only a tad sore afterwards.
  • Loading the player...
  • We delt with this when I was pregnant with ds.. we did not do the testing this time around.. with ds we got a 1/191 for downs syndrome.. we did genetic testing and a level 2 untrasound.. there found one or two markers on the ultrasound.. calicium deposits on liver and heart if I remember correctly. We decided not to do the amnio as thre is a 1-2 % risk of m/c and I have had a previous m/c so I did not want to chance it.. ds was born without downs syndrome... those last 20 weeks of my pregnancy were stressful cause we did not know but we got through it.. my mom had an amnio with me as she was 41 when she had me obviously everything turned out fine but still there is a small risk and it is somthing to think of. Good luck!
    DD 11/5/10 born by c section DS 9/8/07 born by c section due to Pre-e/Hellp Syndrome m/c at 5 1/2 weeks 8/4/06 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • i had an amnio down about a week and half ago. So far i have not had any problems. (knock on wood) i do have to tell you i thought it was painful and was sore afterward for a few days. W are still waiting on the results they take 10 to 14 days to come back. Are baby is measuring small and my umbical cord is enlarged which can be a sign of chromosome abnormalities. But if i had to do it all over again i would do it. We are pretty positive that are baby is fine. We did it to give are selfs peace of mind for the next 10 weeks. And also to prepare if needed. Its all your decsion and what your comfortable with. Good luck and i hope things turn out good for you and your baby. If you have any questions about the test let me know. 
  • We had 2 soft markers at our 20 week US and went for a level 2. They wanted to do an amnio, but we said no. The risk for a miscarriage was higher than the risk that she may have Downs. And for us, it didn't matter if she had Downs, we were still keeping her. It's a personal choice and probably won't be easy for you to make. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"