Working Moms

LO throwing up after feedings- only at day care.

My DD has been in day care for about 4 weeks now and she's about 12 weeks old. When I picked her up yesterday, the teacher asked me if she throws up after feedings a lot at home. I said no...she hasn't done this since she was a couple weeks old. Well, they told me that she'd done it once on Tuesday and 3 times yesterday. They said the amount that comes back up appears to be more than what she's taking in and that it was also coming out of her nose. I'm assuming it was probably similar to a projectile vomit. They also said it appeared she was having difficulty swallowing.

Now, she has had some congestion these past couple days, so my fi called the Dr. last night to see if she could provide any insight. One of the nurses said it's possible that they have her laying on her back a lot and that when they get her up to feed her, the mucus that's draining is causing her to choke, hence the milk coming back up. This all makes sense...but my question is: WHY hasn't this been happening at home? Plus, every time I pick her up she's either in a bouncy seat, the swing, or someone is holding her. She usually doesn't like being flat on her back. The poor thing went through 3 outfits yesterday at day care. I'm stressed out because I feel so bad for her...and I'm worried about what could be causing this. Of course the paranoid side of my brain keeps telling me she's may be anxious/stressed out being at day care. Huh?

Can anyone please provide any insight, or has had something similar happen? Thanks girls. 

Re: LO throwing up after feedings- only at day care.

• Maybe they're not burping her well enough?  My LO needs a serious amount of burping and it takes a while.  I know she's not done after her first burp and needs more upright time and some good, hard pats and she'll get a few more out.  I notice she has tummy aches and gas on daycare days and I'm fairly sure it's just because I'm a better burper than they are.  Does your LO need certain things to help her burp?  I have a little burp routine that I need to do for DD or she'll have tummy troubles that build throughout the day.
  • I would agree with PP that it could be that they aren't burping enough.

Or maybe they are overfeeding? I don't think that signs of stress would show up suddenly after being there for a month, but I am not a baby psychiatrist :)

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• Loading the player...
  • imagehaleymay18:

I would agree with PP that it could be that they aren't burping enough.

Or maybe they are overfeeding? I don't think that signs of stress would show up suddenly after being there for a month, but I am not a baby psychiatrist :)

haha, I don't think so either. Plus, she's a pretty laid back baby. She's hardly ever fussy and she's never seemed to mind other people holding her. It could be that they're not burping her well enough. I hope it's something as simple as that! She's usually pretty quick to burp though...as soon as I sit her up right she usually lets out an extremely loud belch. ;) Hopefully it was just a fluke and today goes better.

• I would push the issue with your pediatrician.  Spitting up a mouthful or 2 = OK.  An entire feeding = not good! 

Daycare must be used to feeding babies, so I doubt that they are causing this.  My son had pyloric stenosis and started projectile vomitting after a couple feedings a day (especially when he was active)....it kept getting worse and worse until it was EVERY feeding.  It is something that is pretty common and fixed with a minor surgery.  It is more prevalent in boys and usually shows up younger (around 6-8 weeks), but you may want to make sure this isn't what is going on. 

• Well, my fi called the day care this morning to check on her. They said she's doing fine so far and that they've been burping her after each ounce she drinks to try and avoid the throwing up. I hope that helps... Thanks for all the suggestions!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"