Indiana Babies

1st birthday - gift from mommy and daddy

Did you or are you giving your LO their bday gift at a birthday party with friends/family??  I guess I'm worried that people are going to think we have overspent....we are thinking of either getting the Fisher Price learning home or the Pottery Barn chair. 

Re: 1st birthday - gift from mommy and daddy

• We give mommy/daddy gifts the morning of birthday, separate from the party (which started as a tradition because our parties are usually not the same as the birthday day, but it has worked great for us so far!). 
  • well, Andrew could barely open his presents ( so slow although he was a bit younger) so we spread them out over like 3 days. haha.  So I would give them separate

But honestly, I don't think it matters either way and I think you should do what you want to do.  I do think he'll have so many presents though that it might be nice to do it another time!

• Loading the player...
  • We didn't get Ella any gifts. She got more than she needed from others and didn't know the difference anyway.

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like the morning of idea.  I think we will do that.  This year her party is on her birthday but in the future it wont always be and I think it will be nice to get a gift the morning of her birthday.
  • We've had 4 birthdays all together and have never given a gift at the party. We always do it on our own before hand (if the party and the birthday fell on the same day) or on the actual day of the birthday. But I like that we do it in private with just the 4 of us.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the suggestions.....I think we may do a gift the morning of or on his actual bday (we are having the party with family the week before because is actual bday is nov 27th - thanksgiving weekend).
  • Growing up, my mom would always wake everyone in the house before the birthday kid, and then everyone would pile in your bed with you and bring you your presents from mom and dad (and when we were older, from siblings).  It was an awesome way to start our birthday days.  I really want to continue the tradition with my boys, however, today I had been up all night so DH got up with DS1 while DS2 and I slept in, lol.  We opened presents at 10 am.  But when they boys are older, we are definitely doing the early morning surprise thing.  I'm getting all misty even thinking about it!
  • imageNDwife07:

We didn't get Ella any gifts. She got more than she needed from others and didn't know the difference anyway.

This is the same for us last Christmas. I had a few friends give me looks or make comments but come on, a 2 month old will not remember getting presents, we buy everything he needs already. As far as his birthday, he is getting a book and a small stuffed animal I got from Rowan Univ. with a RU tshirt. He also got a RU tshirt for himself. Nothing special but he'll get so much stuff from friends/family we didn't think it was necessary. 

• imageamstep:
    Growing up, my mom would always wake everyone in the house before the birthday kid, and then everyone would pile in your bed with you and bring you your presents from mom and dad (and when we were older, from siblings).  It was an awesome way to start our birthday days.  I really want to continue the tradition with my boys, however, today I had been up all night so DH got up with DS1 while DS2 and I slept in, lol.  We opened presents at 10 am.  But when they boys are older, we are definitely doing the early morning surprise thing.  I'm getting all misty even thinking about it!

This is adorable and I intend on stealing it!

• imageshauna060708:

imageamstep:
    Growing up, my mom would always wake everyone in the house before the birthday kid, and then everyone would pile in your bed with you and bring you your presents from mom and dad (and when we were older, from siblings).  It was an awesome way to start our birthday days.  I really want to continue the tradition with my boys, however, today I had been up all night so DH got up with DS1 while DS2 and I slept in, lol.  We opened presents at 10 am.  But when they boys are older, we are definitely doing the early morning surprise thing.  I'm getting all misty even thinking about it!

This is adorable and I intend on stealing it!

Ditto!! Love this idea!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"