High-Risk Pregnancy

stupid GD question: glucose testing

Hey all:

Just started testing yesterday. My doc gave me some "cheater lancets" - the self-contained plastic ones - to use before I started the pen. I always got a nice bead of blood with the cheater lancets and was able to test really easily.

I started using the lancet pen today. I use the shallowest puncture setting and I get an immediate smear instead of a bead. I have tried to wipe the smear and generate a bead, but I just get another smear with too much blood. Sometimes my meter will work with the smear, but the manual says I should not test that way.

Any tips for this newb? Do you have a preferred lancet out there? Does it really matter if I test with a smear instead of a bead? Thanks!

I use the OneTouch Ultra Mini. The lancets in the pen are the Ultrasoft ones. My pen is set for the shallowest puncture setting.

Re: stupid GD question: glucose testing

• I'm using the same machine and it sounds like the same lancet.  I have mine set on "3" and it usually is fine.  I get different results with different fingers though.
    mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
  • Are you using an alcohol wipes to sterilize prior to poking? The only time I'd have issues with smearing is when my finger wasn't "dry" yet from the alcohol swab or water if I had washed my hands.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageDiAnne82:
    Are you using an alcohol wipes to sterilize prior to poking? The only time I'd have issues with smearing is when my finger wasn't "dry" yet from the alcohol swab or water if I had washed my hands.

Hmm, yes I have been using the alcohol wipes. I will dry off with my sterile gauze pad first with tonight's stick and see if that helps. Thanks!

• The nurse told me that the pen is for adults and kids so setting it at 1 is more of the child setting and to set it at 3 or 4 for me since I'm an adult.  I would try putting it at a 3 or 4. 
    Our first little one is getting big!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Number two

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have mine set at 2 which seems to work. Sometimes I have to tilt  my finger a certain way while I squeeze my finger to get a bead of blood otherwise sometimes it will just smear too. I notice my number is higher if it is a smear blood sample versus a bead sample.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks, everyone - I will try these tips the next time I test.
  • I just have a cheapo Wave Sense one right now since I'm getting new insurance on Friday and they prefer the One Touch, but in the mean time the Wave Sense had more affordable supplies.

Anyway, I usually have it set on 3 or a 4.  I alternate hands and the finger that I use.  I also try not to get too close to a former prick.  I've been testing for almost 2 weeks and have noticed that my fingers have gotten a little harder and so sometimes I need to use the 4.  I also may squeeze the finger a little to get a good bead to form.  I really only get a smear (or less) when I've got it set too shallow.  I haven't kept the best record of it but I know a few times it would not read with a smear and I think a few other times it's read pretty high and then I try a different finger and it's been fine.  So I just try to avoid the smear situation, but again I have a cheapo meter.

Also, I've heard that some people have higher readings when they use alcohol wipes versus washing hands.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 3 is what they told me to set mine to and to make sure you apply a little pressure when you do it.  And yes, make sure your hands are dry.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Thanks all - a deeper setting and dry hands did the trick.

Unfortunately it seems that any carbs at all send me above 120. My doc will not be pleased at my first follow-up appointment.

• imagejfayerman:

Thanks all - a deeper setting and dry hands did the trick.

Unfortunately it seems that any carbs at all send me above 120. My doc will not be pleased at my first follow-up appointment.

Are you taking a walk after each meal?  I know it can be a pain but a 10-20 minute walk can make a huge difference in your numbers.

mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
  • Hmmm, I'll have to try the walk - thanks.
  • Also, are you eating enough protein with your carbs?  It helps the absorbsion. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"