Baby Showers

Is this an OK idea?

So, my mom is throwing me an "after baby is here" shower, even though this is my 2nd.  I was thinking of assigning each person something specfic to buy me(cuz, I really don't need much with this being my 2nd and all). Do you think if I write it out at the bottom of the invitation that would be OK? Or is it a bit tacky?

Re: Is this an OK idea?

• Please don't do this.  It's terribly rude to tell a guest specifically what to buy you.  If you dont' need anything, you could tell mom you're interested in a meet the baby party that's open house style where people come and go but make no mention of presents.  Let people decide for themselves if they want to bring something or not.

ETA: and most are probably not going to show up empty-handed

The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • After 9,000 posts, I know you know better.
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Loading the player...
  • I say go for it. I mean its your shower and your baby. You deserve to get what you want. Not the other crap that people show up with. I hate that people get all in a tizzy about "You should be thankful for anything" BS! No one wants crap. You want what you want. Not what other people want.
  • imagecdobry01:
    After 9,000 posts, I know you know better.
    Yeah, this.  If I got an invitation telling me what to buy, I'd probably decline and not send a gift.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageLILBIT1221:
    I say go for it. I mean its your shower and your baby. You deserve to get what you want. Not the other crap that people show up with. I hate that people get all in a tizzy about "You should be thankful for anything" BS! No one wants crap. You want what you want. Not what other people want.

Wow.  why would a few outfits one didn't register for be crap?  If you get something you don't want, give it to charity.

The Bee Hive Blog

• imageEastCoastBride:
    imagecdobry01:
    After 9,000 posts, I know you know better.
    Yeah, this.  If I got an invitation telling me what to buy, I'd probably decline and not send a gift.

What if they were immediate family? This will be just very close family and friends, but I don't want all the stupid blankets they'll knit in the gender specific color or any girl clothes if baby is a girl (we are team green).  OK, what about a list of ideas?  Kind of like a registry but smaller and more specific. I know I could register, but then people always buy something not on the registry too. I wish people just bought good things all the time.

Ooh, does this make me seem ungrateful?

• imageMrs.B6302007:

imageLILBIT1221:
    I say go for it. I mean its your shower and your baby. You deserve to get what you want. Not the other crap that people show up with. I hate that people get all in a tizzy about "You should be thankful for anything" BS! No one wants crap. You want what you want. Not what other people want.

Wow.  why would a few outfits one didn't register for be crap?  If you get something you don't want, give it to charity.

Sorry, I agree with LILBIT...why spend money on something if the person receiving gift doesn't want it? I think all showers/celebrations should do this.

"Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • This has got to be a joke post right? I've seen you post a lot but this is just a bit off the wall.........
  • screw charity, i just tossed the stuff i hated. really. i mean i dont have time for that. and most of it was probably on clearance any how so if someone wanted it bad enough they can spend $2
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Nevermind.......seems a lot of 3rd tri members are just trying to pull some kind of prank.

Odd.

• imageMrs.B6302007:

imageLILBIT1221:

well that is stupid. She isnt throwing a shower for Goodwill. I mean if thats the case she might as well put "please donate all the crap to Goodwill instead of bringing it to me" on the invite.  

• imageJ+MS:
    imageMrs.B6302007:

imageLILBIT1221:

Sorry, I agree with LILBIT...why spend money on something if the person receiving gift doesn't want it? I think all showers/celebrations should do this.

OP said she doesn't need anything so bottom line is she doesn't need a shower.

The Bee Hive Blog

• Ah, I see.

Hope y'all had fun.

The Bee Hive Blog

• It was fun.  Thanks for letting us cranky ready to pop 3rd triers play for a bit.  We have nothing else to do while we sit and wait for our babies to decide they want to be outside babies.

I would never, ever have a 2nd shower, let alone tell people what to bring meStick out tongue

• I say go for it. I would love it if someone sent me an invite and told me exactly what I needed to buy. Takes the guess work out of it for me and is a huge timesaver. Maybe your mom should call everyone ahead of time, feel out their financial situation and then assign a gift based on their available resources? I think that's the only fair way to do it and shows real klass.
  • LOL!!! Yes, we need some drama today! 
  • Can you imagine if the OP would have does this as an AE?  Then the sh!t really would've been flying.

• imagewife1014:

It was fun.  Thanks for letting us cranky ready to pop 3rd triers play for a bit.  We have nothing else to do while we sit and wait for our babies to decide they want to be outside babies.

I would never, ever have a 2nd shower, let alone tell people what to bring meStick out tongue

OMG, Wife1014 you did have me going for a second. I could have sworn aliens invaded and you were out of your mind for a second...I've seen your posts....and I was totally like WTF???

Ha!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just throw your shower at BRU. You can walk around and pick the items out. That way no one will get sneaky and buy some useless crap. Stick out tongue

• I'd go but wouldn't get you want you wanted, I'd buy you something for yourself like make-up Stick out tongue
  • ITS ONLY OK IF YOU SPECIFY NO GIFT UNDER $50 SORRY FOR THE CAPS IM ON MY PHONE!
  • I actually have an Aunt who I remember would always write on the invitation what each person should get her child for her birthday every year.  Everyone would do as they were told...but I everyone talked about how awful she was!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"