Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Can I vent here?

I pump at work. I work in a main office and my coworker has a private office. It's the "department" office that she works out of, to be exact. Well, I pump in her office at the same time nearly every day. This morning, she was on the phone so I couldnt' call to remind her...after 30 minutes I went to her office and said, "hey..I waited as long as I could, but I have to pump." She says, "oh, okay..come on in". She's on a personal phone call. I get my stuff ready and sit quitely. She tells me, "go ahead"...and motions that I turn around!!! WTF!

I reply with, "Oh, I can't...I'm way too shy." She looks shocked- and to avoid an argument or anything, I just go into how shy i am and that I am mortified even nursing in front of people, etc. She says that the girl who used to work here would sometimes just turn around if she was too busy to leave. Well, I'm NOT her, and she was not 'too busy". I said, "i"m sorry, I just can't do that...my face is probably turning red with me just talking about this, haha" (trying to keep it light).

She is leaving, but says, 'there may be some times when I can't leave because there's too much going on". I told her if that were ever the case I would pump in my car or something, because I can't do it in front  of people."

Now, I know what I should do- call HR, talk to my boss, or kick her in her face. However, I'm highly dependent upon my job- my dh doesn't work and is a student- who gets free education because of my position. I can't cause any drama, and even though I am 100% entitled to a "private place that is not a bathroom" to pump, if I pull that card, this coworker will make it a HORRIBLE place for me to work. And she's been here for ever. She's not going anywhere. My boss is also a peacemaker and would not fire her or anything over this. It woudl just be awkward and uncomfortable for me every.single.day. So, basically, I just have to suck it up and deal. :(

Re: Can I vent here?

• I am sure your boss would do something to help you out...afterall they would be in a lot of trouble for not following federal law.  If she tried to make it horrible, make sure your boss is around to see it!
  • Im so sorry!!!  Pumping and working is soo difficult.  I have to pump in a storage closet.....totally uncomfortable!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd talk to your boss, but instead of making it an issue with your coworker, say that you'd appreciate another place to pump on the occasions that she can't leave her office because of work or whatever.  Don't blame her for anything, just see if there's an alternate place to go to.

GL! 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • How about going to your car?  I've had the cleaning lady walk in on my w afew times despite my screams of don't come in.  I'm not so shy, and will acutally nurse in the middle of the mall if I have to.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I had an issue with our maintenence workers barging in our pump room at work to clean in the afternoons. They are well aware that I am the only one currently using the room and that I pump at 3:45 well they insist that they have to clean the room after 3:30 every day and cant accomidate for me. That I should instead pump at 3:15. Have a lot of meeting at that time though so I have pushed my pumping back to 4:15 now because after I complained they purposely went earlier to annoy me. So I beat them at their own game.

Is there another area where you could pump though? Another office in another area? Perhaps it wouldnt hurt just to ask HR if there is anything in the works to have a designated private pumping area?

Your little hands wrapped around my finger and its so quiet in the world tonight Your little eye lids flutter cause your dreamin so I tuck you in, turn on your favorite night light To you everything's funny, you've got nothing to regret I'd give all I have hunny, if you could stay like that Oh darling dont you ever grow up, dont you ever grow up, just stay this little Oh darling dont you ever grow up dont you ever grow up, it could stay this simple I wont let nobody hurt you, wont let no one break your heart, no one will desert you Just try to never grow up imageimage Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsJoeG07:
    imageBFab11:

I'd talk to your boss, but instead of making it an issue with your coworker, say that you'd appreciate another place to pump on the occasions that she can't leave her office because of work or whatever.  Don't blame her for anything, just see if there's an alternate place to go to.

GL! 

Good idea! You should not have to pump in your car, esp. with winter right around the corner!

There are other places..kind of. The other places, and even her office, are subject to being used for our department..but her office is the least used of our other rooms...and the other rooms are so close to public use areas which are filled with people that I would feel shy and embarrassed.

Thanks for the offers and for everyone just "getting it'. That's helpful.

• I completely understand.  I've actually taken my sessions down from 3 to 2 a day b/c I'm a nervous wreck the whole time that someone will walk in on me, since it's happened twice.  I have a huge freezer stash and slowly rotate it in the hopes that around 6 months I'll no longer have to pump at work to make it to a year w/o supplementing.  So long as my supply keeps up!
  • I pump in a coworkers office. She stays in there. she doesn't watch me. We have actually become close friends since i started working there, so it doesn't bother me. I have never asked her to leave, because even though it is the "departments" office, it is her work space. She has the right to do her work. She offered me her office with the closed door out of thoughtfulness for me. I wouldn't inconvenience her by asking her to leave. 

I don't think HR can tell her she has to leave her office space for you to pump. So if she is extra busy, you may just have to bite the bullet and pump in your car if you really can't pump in front (or really behind her back) of people. Sorry. 

ETA: Or do as PP says and ask for other space. It's really not your coworkers fault if she got busy. I do understand your frustration with the situation though. I am sure HR can help you find something better. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"