Upstate NY Babies

Does you preschooler talk to themselves?

I know there aren't that many preschoolers here.  But does your preschooler or toddler have conversations with themselves?  It is usually repeating a conversation he had with someone, but it says both sides.  Like just now he was in the kitchen with a spactula saying "Tyler, what are you holding in your hands" "I have a spatula to flip it" "Are you cooking?" "Why Yes, I am cooking.  I can make you something"

I am trying to figure out if this is normal kid stuff or ASD kid stuff.

Re: Does you preschooler talk to themselves?

• is it an imaginary friend? I don't know what age they get those. Did you ask him who he is talking to?
  • imagejewelsonu:
    is it an imaginary friend? I don't know what age they get those. Did you ask him who he is talking to?

Not imaginary.  Sometimes he talks to specific people.  He talks to his cousin Mac a lot and a little boy down the street.  It tends to be people he doen't see very often.  Sometimes it is a conversation he has definitely had before.  Sometimes it is all pretend.

• Loading the player...
  • He'll "call" people a lot on fake phones and have conversations, that's about it.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • T's obviously not saying words and sentences yet but she jibber jabbers to herself all the time while she's playing! It cracks us up! We always wonder what she's is saying in her jibber jabber language.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sarah does this.  She pretends her hands puppets and they talk to each other (we put sock puppets on her hands a few times when she was younger and i think that's what started it).  the "hands" talk to each other.  Sometimes they're Sarah and Daddy, sometimes they're her stuffed toy and Sarah. They'll have conversations that we've had "Sarah, are you alright?"  "yes Daddy i'm fine"  We used to think it was really strange but now everyone thinks it's super cute and imaginative. 
  • Yes!  All the times.  It's so cute.  He does voices for his stuffed animals too.
  • I should also add that it's normal and a very good sign of development.
  • very normal!  Eva is constantly having conversations with herself- it cracks me up!  She evens coaches herself while she is going potty- "do you have to poo?"  "yes I do"  "you can do it"  "ok, I'll try"  and so on.  This age is too much!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Ian does. I usually hear it when he's avoiding taking his nap. He'll lay in his bed, and yell to someone as if they're in the other room - "Chelsea, are you going outside?" "Yeah, are you?" "Yeah". Cracks me up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"