Stay at Home Moms
Options

sick less often?

We currently have one child and she is in daycare.  Sometime after the first of the year I am going to be a SAHM before #2 comes along.  I am hoping that both DD and I will be sick a lot less.  I am constantly sick!  DD is sick a fair amount.  Would you say that you are sick less, more or the same amount as a SAHM?  
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Riley ~ 08/18/2008 natural m/c 9/7/07 missed m/c 8/1/11 d&c 8/18/11

Re: sick less often?

• Options

that has been my experience so far- but i have been very blessed with a healthy kid.

however- just because we are home- your children are still exposed to the outside germs and around other kids via playdates, classes, shopping, etc.

Just be smart about the normal things to help keep germs at a minimal- washing hands- etc.

GL on your journey to being a SAHM!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

My kids both started MDO a couple mornings a week when they were 15 months. I definitely noticed that they got sick a lot more once they were in group childcare, but it tapered off after the first six months. I don't like having them sick, but I think it's important that they be exposed to germs and build up an immune system. Our pedi always says "pay now or pay later" because at some point, they are going to be exposed to this stuff. I guess I'm glad they're getting sick in measured doses instead of being completely bombarded with illness in kindergarten.

As for me, it's made no difference. I don't get sick very often and don't usually catch what they have. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't have much to compare to.

BUT I do know that DD was sick (barely) 2 times between birth and 2 years old.  Right when she turned two (this month), I started working more - in a preschool class - and lo and behold, within the first week of school DH, DD and I all had the crud.  It was obviously because of what I was in contact with and bringing home from my time with little kids in masses.   

• Options

DD seems to get sick a little less than my friends' children who attend daycare, but she still gets sick.  We do a lot of playgroups, classes, and are just around other kids almost daily, and she seems to have a runny nose about 50% of the time.  She wasn't sick at all her first six months or so, and then we started activities.  :-)  

I'm not worried about it because I know it helps her immune system, and it's easy to just stay home for a few days if we need to.  We are actually skipping playgroup today because she has what I think is a cold (may be allergies, but not taking any chances).

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Options
    DS was a daycare kid until he was 6 years old.  He was definitely sick more often as a baby and toddler than DD, who stays home with me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am sick all the time - but it's these allergies and asthma that do it. I get sinus/upper respiratory infections all the freakin time.

DD has never been really sick. Knock on wood!! She has had sniffles here and there, but nothing to be worried about.

I go to school and I've noticed that being back I get sicker more often. DD started mom's day out a month ago and she hasn't picked anything up.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We are sick less often by far, BUT whenever we are around someone else who is sick we ALWAYS get it. I think not being sick often has given us both weaker immune systems.
  • Options

imageKflie83:
    We are sick less often by far, BUT whenever we are around someone else who is sick we ALWAYS get it. I think not being sick often has given us both weaker immune systems.

This is how it is for us.  We always catch it if we are around someone sick. DS didn't get sick for the first time until he was 11 months old. Having a toddler brings more germs home. DD is 5 months old and has already had 3 colds.

• Options

I don't think anyone can really answer this question. I think it depends on you and your kids.

I hardly ever get sick - I think I've been sick twice in the almost 7 years of marriage.

All the kids are "maybe" sick for 2 days a year. I'm not counting colds. I mean stomach bug, etc. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

my two year old stopped getting sick as often when we pulled him out of daycare.  Of course, now we make it to more weddings/family reunionions, etc, and he always gets sick there :(

My baby is never sick.  It is very strange. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"