Georgia Babies
Options

Oh no: regression help...

Evie peed in her pants three times in the last 24 hours.   Its totally out of the blue.   Yesterday, she stood in my living room and said, "mommy, I'm going pee".  I asked her why she did that (and I am trying to be as calm as possible) and she said, "Because I want to".     And when I asked her why she didn't tell me she had to go, or go to the potty, she said, "because I don't want to". 

I take that with a grain of salt though because she tends to get stuck on one idea and keeps repeating it.    I have no idea if it was intentional or not.   She did say it was an accident, but also kept saying "because I want to".

Then while I was making dinner and Liam was melting into the witching hour, she stood on my stone fireplace and peed again.   It was all I could do to be calm.    I turned off all the burners and brought her upstairs and got her ready for bed.     We talked about it and she said it was an accident again.      I keep asking her why she doesn't tell me when she has to pee and she gets caught up in a tangent of thoughts.  

This morning, she still had on her pull up, and she stood in her playroom saying, "mommy, I peed in my playroom".   I don't think she realized her pull up was still on and that it was not as big a deal.    At this point, I think she is doing it to be a PITA.    She said, "I don't want to pee on the toilet."  

Where does this leave me? Anyone else go through this?  Its been a great 2 month run.    I can barely count 3 accidents before this, and now within the last day, shes peed three times.    I'm tired and stressed and don't want to deal with this.  

Re: Oh no: regression help...

• Options

I am sooo sorry. William had a regression stage and it lasted for almost a week. I just said we'll try again next time and didn't make a big deal out of it.

• Options

No advice, but hang in there. 

Alec began regressing when we started pushing the big potty.  It took me a couple of days to get this out of him.  We talked about it and we agreed that he could use whichever potty he wanted to.  We are still having about 1 accident a week. Part of me thinks it has to do with attention. Aerin has been attached to my hip and both kids have been fighting over who gets mommy.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Would introducing a reward snap her out of it? Something simple like a sticker or a single M&M?
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We are right there with you on the regression and we also have a newish sibling in the mix.  I really think it is a control thing with Ava.  She knows she can control when and where she goes, and will do it to get attention cause she is jealous of the attention I am giving to Katelyn.  I wish I had some advice on how to fix it - we went back to pull-ups cause I couldn't deal with changing her underwear/clothes 5x a day.  I never in a million years thought potty training was going to be this much of a pain.  I'm starting the next child at 18 mos, before they learn how to talk back and say "no!".
  • Options

imagebudgetbride26:
    We are right there with you on the regression and we also have a newish sibling in the mix.  I really think it is a control thing with Ava.  She knows she can control when and where she goes, and will do it to get attention cause she is jealous of the attention I am giving to Katelyn.  I wish I had some advice on how to fix it - we went back to pull-ups cause I couldn't deal with changing her underwear/clothes 5x a day.  I never in a million years thought potty training was going to be this much of a pain.  I'm starting the next child at 18 mos, before they learn how to talk back and say "no!".

We started Aerin at 19 months and she is already talking back and saying "NO"!! 

• Options

I think part of it is that they go tied up in what they are doing that when they do realize it's time to go, it's too late and they can't make it.  And then they make excuses for it.  Ava does this from time to time. 

I threaten to take away all of her princess underwear and put her back in diapers.  Or I make her wear Carter's leftover Buzz Lightyear pullups, that definitely gets her attention b/c she's all into princess crap.

• Options
    Cadence did this when we were away on vacation in August. Change of scenery=out of routine and potty accidents. She was still out of sorts when we got home and we just went back to reminding her every few hours if she had not gone. I'm sorry you are dealing with this and I hope it passes quickly.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• Options
    I am soaking up every word of this post b/c I just have a feeling that we will face some sort of regression after this baby comes- either potty, speech, or something else.  Of course, at this point, we are still desperately trying to master the potty thing.  We will have a few great days and then suddenly it all goes out the window.  And poops- OMG.  The poop explosion in his underwear this morning is going to give me nightmares for YEARS.  I do think Evie is probably doing this for attention and is probably feeling confused about feeling this way hence the accident vs. on purpose dialogue.  We realized that rewards weren't really even motivating to Gavin- but our praise is.  Especially fist bumps.  Cutest thing ever- so happy that DH taught him that!  So since we are currently experiencing a slight regression right now, I'm planning to shower him with attention this afternoon and really try to praise him big time for the next few days and then just be really consistent this weekend at home.  Hopefully that will get him back on track.  Also, he seems to be struggling with fitting the potty stuff into his school routine.  Not sure if it's just still so new and we haven't found the right rythym yet... but anyway, I've always known that Gavin is a creature of habit so we will probably need to really focus on our routine/schedule to get him back on track.  Ugh, this is HARD!!!

• Options

imageslwprincess:
    We realized that rewards weren't really even motivating to Gavin- but our praise is.  Especially fist bumps.  Cutest thing ever- so happy that DH taught him that!  So since we are currently experiencing a slight regression right now, I'm planning to shower him with attention this afternoon and really try to praise him big time for the next few days and then just be really consistent this weekend at home.  Hopefully that will get him back on track.

We used high fives and our guide recommended letting Geneva call someone to brag about what she'd done. She got to call her Grandmas and her Aunt. I think it really helped! We also did lots of loud cheering.

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

One other thing to note and I'm sure you're already doing this, but when they first start, they really have to be reminded/asked every hour or so if they need to go potty.   If they say no, and its been a while, they probably still do.

Night-time potty trained can take a while.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersbr> Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yeah she loves to get a "big thumbs up!" like on Super Why.   Between the big thumbs up, high fives and fist bumps, she knows when she's done well.   And she IS going on the toilet too.   But three times, not so much. 

Anyhow, we've had a good day so far.    We'll see how it goes after lunch/nap.  

• Options
    imagemyrall:

imageslwprincess:
    We realized that rewards weren't really even motivating to Gavin- but our praise is.  Especially fist bumps.  Cutest thing ever- so happy that DH taught him that!  So since we are currently experiencing a slight regression right now, I'm planning to shower him with attention this afternoon and really try to praise him big time for the next few days and then just be really consistent this weekend at home.  Hopefully that will get him back on track.

We used high fives and our guide recommended letting Geneva call someone to brag about what she'd done. She got to call her Grandmas and her Aunt. I think it really helped! We also did lots of loud cheering.

Oh yeah, we did phone calls too.  That did seem to help but since he's still not a big talker it was mostly just us telling Granny/Poppy what a big boy he is on speaker phone.  But still that extra praise from someone else always gives him a HUGE smile.  Now the loud cheering- that backfired on us and gave him stagefright so he couldn't finish!!!  Now we have to be sure that we wait until he's all done before we celebrate!  I also remember last year after my niece had been trained for a couple months, she got mad at my brother for something and just stood there in the kitchen and said "I'm pooping my pants right now and you can't stop me!"  It was totally a control/attention thing.  His method of dealing with it is probably not Bump appropriate- lol, but let's just say that only happened once!  Oh and my mom said that I was notorious for holding my poops as a control thing.  She thinks its hilarious that we are dealing with this with Gavin now.  Thanks mom.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"