Baby Showers

Anyone's in-laws not going to their shower?

My MIL, GIL, and two SILs just stopped by my house to check on me.  My youngest SIL who is 15 asked me for a ride to my shower this Saturday.  It did not dawn on me until after they left that this must mean that no one over legal driving limit is planning to attend.  Just text messaged them to ask and they informed me that no one was able to get off work.  Since invites went out over a month ago, my feelings are pretty hurt.  It's not like it was short notice.

Re: Anyone's in-laws not going to their shower?

• My MIL doesn't even know I am pregnant - but that's because she has systematically estranged herself from everyone in her own family over the last few years - the final straw for my husband being last year shortly after the holidays when she refused to come to our wedding and said some horribly nasty things to him that he still hasn't wanted to repeat to anyone.  On the plus side, her absence at the wedding meant that some of her own siblings who don't want any contact with her decided they would actually attend knowing she wouldn't be there.  We aren't really close enough to them to invite them to the shower, though.

My FIL has been deceased for close to 10 years - he was a sweet, sweet man whom I would have loved to have as a participant in our child's life.  My SIL moved to Texas the weekend of our wedding and probably won't have the time or money to travel all the way back to Maryland for my shower.  So, none of my in-laws will be at my shower either.

P.S. What's a GIL?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • GIL - I would say Grandmother-in-law
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had no inlaws at my baby shower with ds( just my aunt and cousins wife) and my bridal shower only had my sil in attendence( and my mother).. this time around the only in laws that attended was my gil and dh's aunt ( she is married to said gil son) and i only had my cousins wife from my side of the family.. a lot of my family and dh family lives out of state and I have 1/2 of my family in England so I am used to it. My aunt and another of dh aunts ( other son of gil) were invited and local but my aunt was in hawaii and dh aunt just decided not to go for some reason..
    DD 11/5/10 born by c section DS 9/8/07 born by c section due to Pre-e/Hellp Syndrome m/c at 5 1/2 weeks 8/4/06 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • My MIL didn't come to my wedding shower or baby shower.  Both of which she got a "bug" the night before.  W/ the baby shower, I expected it so I wasn't surprised by it or hurt by it. 

As for your situation, what kind of jobs do they have?  Sure, invitations went out awhile ago, but that doesn't mean they'll be able to get coverage for their shift. 

The fact taht they are stopping by to see you tells me you have a decent relationship w/ them and that they like you.  Don't overblow the importance of the shower and make it into something it's not.  Yes, it would be nice for them to be there, but at the same time... why does it really matter?  

They won't be there to watch you open gifts.  The fact that they are there for you at the "off" times and making sure you're o.k. ... I think that's a heck of a lot more important.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageEastCoastBride:

The fact taht they are stopping by to see you tells me you have a decent relationship w/ them and that they like you.  Don't overblow the importance of the shower and make it into something it's not.  Yes, it would be nice for them to be there, but at the same time... why does it really matter?  

They won't be there to watch you open gifts.  The fact that they are there for you at the "off" times and making sure you're o.k. ... I think that's a heck of a lot more important.

This, definitely.  I doubt my MIL will take the time to come, because she generally just can't be bothered unless we go pick her up.  It's expected behavior at this point - and in the scheme of things, it really doesn't matter.

FWIW - my own family won't be coming either.  They live too far away.  I'm okay with this too - it's just a party.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• My In laws are having their OWN baby shower and I am not invited...
  • imagecjsteele3:
    My In laws are having their OWN baby shower and I am not invited...

What??? Ru serious?

I did just hear of a grandma shower and thought wth!!!

• My inlaws live several thousands of miles away from us. They will not be attending, I didn't even have the host invite them since they are not local. Didn't want to be looking like a gift grubber. Same with my family, also quite the distance from us and not invited.
    BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a shower last weekend that was hosted by my mother, to which both my MIL and my SIL were invited.  My MIL is hosting a second shower for me this weekend.

While my mother is going out of her way to drive all the way from Boston to NYC to attend the shower my MIL is hosting this weekend, my MIL (and SIL) decided at the last minute to decline the invitation to my mom's shower in Boston last weekend... Their reason??  They were having YARD WORK done last weekend... on their VACATION home... which my FIL easily could've handled on his own.  They decided to schedule said yard work the week before my mom's shower, well after the shower invitations were sent out.

My feelings were definitely hurt, since it seems like my mom is making much more of an effort than my MIL is, and especially since I have usually been pretty close with my MIL (don't get me wrong, I'm still very grateful that my MIL is throwing a shower this weekend - it's very nice of her to do so).  The worst part about it is that she never even bothered to pick up the phone and tell ME that she wasn't attending... she told DH and called my mom, but never mentioned a word about it to me, even after telling me a few weeks earlier that she and SIL were definitely attending the shower in Boston.

• My SMIL and probably both SIL won't attend my shower, 1 because she'll be with SMIL and they didn't have enough notice (WHATEVER, it's really because I am not going to SIL suprise Sweet 16 cause I am camping) and the other because unless it's about her/her kids getting gifts she won't come. Oh wait and my Grandmother in law probably won't come either, I'm just guessing beings as she doesn't bother to RSVP and due to the fact that she didn't come to my wedding shower (she was at others) and in the recieving line at my wedding she hugged DH and then walked right past me like I wasn't there.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • MIL and SIL were at my first shower. They probably will not be at the one next month because it involves a flight for them. I prefer they wait and take the time off from work and pay for a flight after the baby is born, when they want to come.
  • My mil did not attend my wedding shower. It hurt my feelings, but what can you do? I hope you have fun at your shower anyway!
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know how you feel...only my MIL came to wedding shower, but my 3 SIL didn't come. For baby shower...MIL isn't coming and neither are 2 out of 3 SIL coming...Whatever!! Of course my family comes to my events...I just figure, what goes around comes around.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"