Special Needs
Options

How to deal with negative behaviors?

Chris has started with a lot of negative behaviors this past week; increased hitting, kicking, biting, etc.  He has started hiding in the fridge and has been able to open up the door even when we put the child safety thing on it.  He's running outside after he opens up the door.  Any suggestions? 

Re: How to deal with negative behaviors?

• Options

Does he respond to positive reinforcement?  My ds doesn't care about punishments too much, so time outs etc never worked for us.  But my ds really wants to please us and if we overly praise him it works.  I made a big letter J for Jack and whenever he does something good he gets to put a sticker on his J.  He gets a sticker for even the smallest thing...we make a big deal out of everything good.  Not sure if your ds would respond to something like this, but it works for my ds.

As far as safety proofing the fridge, can you put the lock up high so that he can't unlock it?  Can you put a lock high up on the doors leading to outside?this won't stop the behaviors but will keep him safe.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I may have to get the locks again.  One for the freezer and one for the fridge :)  When he's in tantrum mode nothing can stop him.  He goes in full on and can't get himself turned "off" so to say.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    One of our triplets is pretty wild.  We have the safety straps on the fridge doors and we have also added the door knob covers and security chains on the doors.  We found chains that have a key so that if you have them locked and your significant other needs to get in, the key will drop the chain.  My
    "wild one" does respond to positive reinforcements on occasion but also has his moments where nothing can stop him or calm him down.  I will tell you that I wind up sitting in the corner more than I should have to because he will not go there or stay there by himself.  I will face the corner with him in my lap with my arms crossed over him.  He/we have to sit there until he says he's sorry and will do what needs to do.  I'll keep an eye on this post for any other suggestions as well.  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"