Working Moms

Re: Who can't wait to see Waiting for Superman?

• Me, me, me! I'm intrigued also since the producer is the Inconvenient Truth guy and this is so anti-union. Does not follow script.

I will send my kids to public schools, we are in suburbia and have awesome schools. 

Oh, I could say so much more to this post Spens but this is not a politics board. Smile

• Loading the player...
  • imagewheelenl:

Me, me, me! I'm intrigued also since the producer is the Inconvenient Truth guy and this is so anti-union. Does not follow script.

I will send my kids to public schools, we are in suburbia and have awesome schools. 

Oh, I could say so much more to this post Spens but this is not a politics board. Smile

Pity. Stick out tongue I am bored and PC&E is too lib.
  • As a DC resident, any film that portrays Michelle Rhee as some kind of folk hero gets the big thumbs down from me.

And no, it's not because I'm "pro union" or "anti change" or whatever nonsense she says about her detractors.

Listen, Rhee has done some good things for DCPS, but her rhetoric is so divisive that she rendered herself ineffective.  Not to mention that she allows the perception to fester that she is at best, pandering er to rich white interests and  hanging poor black kids out to dry and does absolutely NOTHING to dispell that notion because her ego doesn't allow her to admit mistakes.  Hell, she can't even concede that she could've handled situations better.  

She needs to quit believing her own press and actually start being a leader, as she claims to be, and not a dictator.  She's not quite as smart as she seems to think she is. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's hard for me to take a movie about education too seriously when it was funded by someone who supports the intelligent design/anti-evolution movement.

I'm also wondering how this story will play out now that Michelle Rhee's policies have been shown ineffective and her use of masking tape to subdue her elementary school students has been made public.

I'm

• I swear it was gremlins

• Must be the public schools I attended

• As someone who used to work in an NYC public school in Harlem I'm intrigued.  I feel like I'll probably leave crying and and furious at the same time.  I honestly can't stand to see teachers bashed outright by people who have never taught in a classroom.  And I also can't stand all the talk about teacher accountability/rating using test scores.  Walk a mile in my shoes with 32 4th graders in a room with 26 seats, 13 IEPs PLUS 5 transfer students who are in dire need of evaluation but have not been to date (how do you get to 4th grade with reading comprehension at a 1st grade level and not have an IEP???) and then tell me it's fair to judge my performance on test scores alone. 

Oh, don't get me started!

I do hate the unions though.  Tenure has got to go, as do MANY terrible teachers...

I could go on and on. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMustang Sally:

As someone who used to work in an NYC public school in Harlem I'm intrigued.  I feel like I'll probably leave crying and and furious at the same time.  I honestly can't stand to see teachers bashed outright by people who have never taught in a classroom.  And I also can't stand all the talk about teacher accountability/rating using test scores.  Walk a mile in my shoes with 32 4th graders in a room with 26 seats, 13 IEPs PLUS 5 transfer students who are in dire need of evaluation but have not been to date (how do you get to 4th grade with reading comprehension at a 1st grade level and not have an IEP???) and then tell me it's fair to judge my performance on test scores alone. 

I do hate the unions though.  Tenure has got to go, as do MANY terrible teachers...

I could go on and on. 

I hope it is a bit balanced although I don't have anything good to say about the unions. I will say that I am happy that the LA Times is publishing test results - not the only variable, surely, but if it leads to further discussion about teacher effectiveness and barriers to success then it is a good thing.
  • My DH says he doesn't want to see it because it will make him too upset. 

I will probably be anxious too but am looking forward to it.

• I am a teacher and am anxious to see it.  I am not sure how I am going to feel, to be honest, but I do want to see it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMustang Sally:

As someone who used to work in an NYC public school in Harlem I'm intrigued.  I feel like I'll probably leave crying and and furious at the same time.  I honestly can't stand to see teachers bashed outright by people who have never taught in a classroom.  And I also can't stand all the talk about teacher accountability/rating using test scores.  Walk a mile in my shoes with 32 4th graders in a room with 26 seats, 13 IEPs PLUS 5 transfer students who are in dire need of evaluation but have not been to date (how do you get to 4th grade with reading comprehension at a 1st grade level and not have an IEP???) and then tell me it's fair to judge my performance on test scores alone. 

I could go on and on. 

Almost everyone in my family is a teacher. I think only one of them belongs to the NEA. 

One of my friend's who is a teacher in NYC told me about how hard it would be for his school to fire him, even if he had done something terrible. 

In Tennessee, one of my BFFs only had to teach three years to get tenure. Life tenure. 

What other kinds of jobs have life tenure like that? How could that not affect your perfromance? My BFF by the way quit teaching b/c it's such a terrible system of principals palling up with parents, students are never wrong, etc. Everyone thought she was crazy for leaving a job she was guaranteed for life.

I think that's the key here--we need to remember there are a lot of great teachers out there, but it's a broken system. (There are also bad teachers out there, but you get my point.)

I don't know anything about this crazy lady you guys are referring to but it's going to start a national conversation, and regardless that will be good.

• It should be interesting.  Evidently the guy who made the movie has "opted out" himself and sends his kids to private school.  

But, more conversation about the education system is always a good thing. We live in suburbia in an area with great schools and we are considering opting out for Catholic school.  I think No Child Left Behind is useless and teaching to the test pisses me off.  George W started that nonsense in TX when he was governor (I lived in TX then) and was so disappointed he brought it to the national stage.  My friend's daughter, who was in second grade at the time, worried about these tests and evidently the teachers spent weeks prepping them for these tests.  How about actually engaging the students and having them learn something other than how to test?

Ok, I'll stop now. 

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• I checked to see if it's playing around here.  I don't think it is - not that I'm surprised. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"