Multiples
Options

Lots of Sleep/Napping Questions

Here's where I'm at.  Questions are below.

I do a combination of BF and FF.

The girls STTN for about 3 weeks at the end of August (approx weeks 12-15) and ever since, they wake up once a night to eat.  We start the bedtime routine at 7:30, they are asleep at 8:15 (usually) and will sleep until somewhere between 3-5 when they get up to BF only, then go back down again until around 7 or 8 depending on when they got up to eat.  At night after they BF they get a bottle, are swaddled (tried to wean them off the swaddle and they refused), and we usually rock them for 5 to 10 minutes before the fall asleep.

Right now I have no nap schedule.  I am trying to move toward a morning and afternoon nap but I feel stuck.  In the past week I have been moving them to their cribs for their nap instead of letting them take it in their bouncy seat or swing. To take a nap they have to be rocked and swaddled.

Questions:

1.  Should I wake them up for the day at the same time every morning regardless of when they woke up to feed to help regulate their naps for the day?

2.  Are your nap times set in stone?  How do you gauge it, if not?

3. At night, when one wakes up to eat, we always wake the other b/c they both will need to eat.  During their naps, if one wakes up earlier, I let the other one sleep unless it's time to eat.  But sometimes this is a problem because one baby will nap for 1.5 hours and the other for only 40 minutes.  Then the 40 min baby requires a longer nap at the end of the day, etc.... I just chalk that up to having twins, but does anyone actually handle this differently?

4. How can I break the rocking to sleep problem?  At night it's not a big deal to us because it take less than 10 minutes and it's nice bonding for DH and I, but I know this is why they require it for napping, and it's hard for me to do alone, and for naps, they require longer rocking!  Yesterday they were both starting to fall asleep in their bouncy seats, so I brought them upstairs, swaddled, gave them their pacis and then put them in their cribs.  They laid there for 5 min, then started crying.  I let them cry 5 minutes, then I went up, soothed them, and left.  As soon as I left, more crying.  I let them cry 10 minutes, then went up again.  At that point they were so worked up it took me 10 minutes to soothe them!  I finally brought them downstairs and put them in their bouncy seats and put on a cartoon.  They fell asleep in less than 10 minutes.  They seem too young to CIO to me.......

Sorry so long....thanks for any help/tips you can give me!!!!

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Lots of Sleep/Napping Questions

• Options

Our LOs are pretty close in age!

My first piece of advice is to check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins by Marc Weissbluth.  It's not so much a sleep training book, as it is a sleep education book.  Learning about all the ins and outs, and tips on how to deal with getting twins on the right track together has really helped us.

The first thing that helped us was to create a sleep log where I tracked what they were doing - when they ate, when they slept outside of the crib, inside the crib, etc.  This helped me to identify trends and helped me to encourage them, get them to compromise on a similar schedule and figure out what works and what doesn't.  I'm incredibly anal and created a color coded spreadsheet that I would be willing to share if you are interested.  If you want it PM me your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Based on our experience, here's my responses to your questions:

1.  Yes, for us it has worked to keep them on an eating schedule that keeps them on the right track for a bedtime that works for them.  I found that if they slept in late one day, it would trickle down to a later bedtime, thus starting the cycle of chaos.

2. I gauge their nap times by in between bottle times.  For example they will nap between their 7am and 10am bottles etc.  I just look for them to show sleep cues, and put them down as soon as I see it, so that they are going down drowsy but awake.

3. I fully agree with waking to feed at night as long as the one who didn't wake up first is at least stirring.  Right now, we have one who is basically STTN, and only wakes up occasionally when her twin does to eat.  As far as naps go, I don't wake one when the other gets up (unless it's time to eat).  My girls take their main naps at different times.  I think it is sort of a twin thing.  I look at it as getting to have alone time with each of them.

4.  Breaking the 'motion nap' as I like to call naps in bouncys and swings, is a tough one.  For us, it took about a week of trial and error.  What finally worked for us was to start off letting them fall asleep moving, then stopped the swing/bouncy.  Once I was sure they were going to stay asleep, I'd pick them up and walk them to their cribs and gently lay them down.  But seriously, when I started to learn their drowsy cues and laid them down as soon as I saw it, that was the best thing.  Think about it, it would be a bit startling if you feel asleep in the car, and all the sudden you were in your bed.  lol

Good luck!

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • Options
    imageAlishaMay:

My first piece of advice is to check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins by Marc Weissbluth.  It's not so much a sleep training book, as it is a sleep education book.  Learning about all the ins and outs, and tips on how to deal with getting twins on the right track together has really helped us.

The first thing that helped us was to create a sleep log where I tracked what they were doing - when they ate, when they slept outside of the crib, inside the crib, etc.  This helped me to identify trends and helped me to encourage them, get them to compromise on a similar schedule and figure out what works and what doesn't.  I'm incredibly anal and created a color coded spreadsheet that I would be willing to share if you are interested.  If you want it PM me your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

1.  Yes, for us it has worked to keep them on an eating schedule that keeps them on the right track for a bedtime that works for them.  I found that if they slept in late one day, it would trickle down to a later bedtime, thus starting the cycle of chaos.

2. I gauge their nap times by in between bottle times.  For example they will nap between their 7am and 10am bottles etc.  I just look for them to show sleep cues, and put them down as soon as I see it, so that they are going down drowsy but awake.

3. I fully agree with waking to feed at night as long as the one who didn't wake up first is at least stirring.  Right now, we have one who is basically STTN, and only wakes up occasionally when her twin does to eat.  As far as naps go, I don't wake one when the other gets up (unless it's time to eat).  My girls take their main naps at different times.  I think it is sort of a twin thing.  I look at it as getting to have alone time with each of them.

4.  Breaking the 'motion nap' as I like to call naps in bouncys and swings, is a tough one.  For us, it took about a week of trial and error.  What finally worked for us was to start off letting them fall asleep moving, then stopped the swing/bouncy.  Once I was sure they were going to stay asleep, I'd pick them up and walk them to their cribs and gently lay them down.  But seriously, when I started to learn their drowsy cues and laid them down as soon as I saw it, that was the best thing.  Think about it, it would be a bit startling if you feel asleep in the car, and all the sudden you were in your bed.  lol

Good luck!

Hey there!

I actually do have HSHHT.  I haven't read it cover to cover, but I've skipped around to many chapters.  I'll pick it up again!

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd love to see your spreadsheet, if you don't mind. Just sent you a PM. 

imageAlishaMay:

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"