Parenting after 35

I'm liking the Ferber book

I know a few of us said we were considering checking it out--I got it the other day and have been reading it on my commute. I really like it! The approach is not at all as scary/mean as it is made out to be. There's a lot of good info in there (I'm pretty sure our nighttime waking issue is due to the pacifier and M not being able to put it back in her mouth when she wakes up).
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I'm liking the Ferber book

• Betty Jane had that same pacifier issue. At 3 months we gradually stopped giving it to her and she found her thumb to self-soothe. Almost immediately she started sleeping 10 hours a night. Woohoo!
  • Ooh, Kirstie, you don't know how happy hearing that makes me!!! How long did it take her to adjust to no paci?
  • Loading the player...
  • This is how we did it. For 3-4 days we didn't give her the paci at naptimes and only gave it to her when we put her down for the evening. At that point she was comfortable sleeping without the paci during naps so we then stopped giving it to her when we put her down at night. It took about 3 more days for her to get used to it. Since we did this when she was 3 months old, it took about a week total for her to go pacifier free. I think it can take a little longer for older babies so you might have to be a bit more patient. It's so worth it in the end.

Oh... When you start to go pacifier-free at night, you might want to schedule that for the weekend. It's a little easier when you don't have to worry about work.

• Sarah also had that pacifier issue. We weaned her from the paci at 4 months age within 3 days, using a method I learned in the No Cry Sleep Solution book: First day, we would give her the pacifier for naps and night time to help fall asleep but gently remove it from her mouth as soon as she was fast asleep. Surprisingly, she didn't wake up. The second day, we only gave her the paci if she was upset or crying for naps or night time. The third day we didn't need it anymore. She has been sleeping for 12 hours at night ever since and never cries when she wakes at night or during naps, just puts herself to sleep again. Surprisingly, she didn't start sucking her thumb either.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm doomed... doomed, I tell you.

Aaron is all about his paci.  I leave at least 3 in his crib at night so he can find one and pop it in his mouth if he needs it.  I wasn't planning on weaning him from it until 18-24 months. I like my sleep and he sleeps well at night. So I don't want to mess with a good thing yet.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • imagerobynlesley:

I'm doomed... doomed, I tell you.

Aaron is all about his paci.  I leave at least 3 in his crib at night so he can find one and pop it in his mouth if he needs it.  I wasn't planning on weaning him from it until 18-24 months. I like my sleep and he sleeps well at night. So I don't want to mess with a good thing yet.

Me too.  Sad  We only let her have it at nap and bedtime (although I swear, sometimes I almost have to wrestle it away from her in the morning), but she CANNOT fall asleep without it.  And if she wakes up in the middle of the night and there's no paci in the crib that she can reach, someone (me) has to go in there and crawl around on the floor looking under the crib so that we can both go back to sleep.

Her dentist said no paci at all after 2 1/2.  Not looking forward to that.

• Ok ladies, H and I agreed to try no paci tonight at bedtime. She cried for about 5 minutes total--I went in to check on her at 3 min, made sure she had her tiger lovey, and then left again, and within 2 minutes she was out. Let's see how the rest of the night goes...
  • imagelivvielo:
    Ok ladies, H and I agreed to try no paci tonight at bedtime. She cried for about 5 minutes total--I went in to check on her at 3 min, made sure she had her tiger lovey, and then left again, and within 2 minutes she was out. Let's see how the rest of the night goes...

That's great! I hope she (and mommy!) gets a good night of sleep :)

• imagelivvielo:
    Ok ladies, H and I agreed to try no paci tonight at bedtime. She cried for about 5 minutes total--I went in to check on her at 3 min, made sure she had her tiger lovey, and then left again, and within 2 minutes she was out. Let's see how the rest of the night goes...

Nice!!  Please be sure to give us the update tomorrow!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"