D.C. Area Babies

transition to crib = FAIL! Help!!

Last night we put DD in her nursery/crib for the first time.  She was still swaddled.  She's 3mo as of last Saturday and she weighs just over 13 lbs, so we figured she will grow out of the bassinet soon enough.  Plus, I'm going back to work in a couple of weeks so the transition makes sense.  OMG, last night was a mess.  She was up every 1-2 hours all night.  Usually she sleeps from 9-3am and then goes back down until 8 or 9am, which is totally workable.  But last night's schedule was killer.  DH got up with her a ton.  She wont take a pacifier at all, and only likes to suck on Dad's pinky, so he did that several times.  I am so tired today.  Oh, also she wont nap, so I can't do the "nap in the crib" trick that I've heard some ladies talk about.  Any advice for me?  I know this is just a phase and it will pass, but that was small consolation last night....

Re: transition to crib = FAIL! Help!!

• Just be persistant, I know it sucks but its different and it takes time for them to get used to it. It was like that for about 3 days with my baby and after that I think she realized that was her spot and she was fine.  
  • she goes the entire day without a nap?  I have found with all 3 kids that they ended up napping better in the crib than they did in the swing or bouncy seat.

Do you put her down to slepp in the bassinette awake (doesn't have to be wide awake, she can be sleepy, but should be awake)?  If not, you should start.  This will help her learn to put herself to sleep, so when she wakes in the middle of the night, she will know how to go back down on her own.

Also, I would let her fuss a little if she wakes in the middle of the night (I am not talking full on screaming or anything, but fussing, whining, a little cry).  I have found that they will often put themselves back to sleep if I do not get up as soon as I first hear them fuss.

Another thought, does she break out of her swaddle?  If so, I would try a woombie- it is great for letting them move their arms around and still be swaddles so that they are not startling themselves awake.

I hope things improve and you can get some rest!

Lauren,
    Mackenzie Beth 10.26.05 Ian James 08.09.08 Rhys Edward 07.05.10 William Brendan 04.17.12
  • Loading the player...
  • We had the same problem with my DD when she was a baby.  The first few days we moved the bassinet in her room so she was used to waking up somewhere else.  The next few days we put the bassinett (without the stand) inside of her crib.  After that she slept in her crib without any issues.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She won't nap at all during the day?  I'd focus more on that issue - work on that first before the crib transition.  Daytime naps help kids sleep better at night.  Always remember: sleep begets sleep.
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"