Special Needs

Help a Preschool Teacher?

I've posted a couple of times about children in my program and I'm coming to you again.  We have a little one (she's just turned 3 in August).  She met with a developmental pediatrician on Friday.  Mom and Dad have not fully discussed what they were made aware of in this appointment beyond there were several "small" things that when put together make for bigger issues.  They were referred to the school district for a full IEP.  They immediately went to to the district and completed the paperwork and hope to start the process in the next couple of weeks.  They are truly a wonderful family and are doing everything in their power to get their child the assistance she needs.

However, since we don't have much information (our guess is she has ASD), I'm trying to figure out how to best work with her so I figure I'll ask the best experts ... mommies!!

Her behavior has changed and become much more challenging.  When she first began with me she spoke but most of it was unintelligible.  Then a few months ago her speech changed and she was understood but she became more physically challenging (hitting, pushing, etc).  We seem to have a handle on that but now the "bossy" girl has come out (telling other children to do things, etc).  Some of that is just typical of the age.  However, the most difficult part is she has taken to laughing and ignoring us.  We used to be able to get through to her.  A time out was a BIG deal, now she sits and laughs.  Nothing seems to be working and her teachers patience is being tested.  We have always had to keep VERY close watch on her (she often sits next to the teacher, not separated from the group, but with the teacher next to her), but now, we literally can't keep her out of our sight.  Recently she has started humming, singing, clicking her tongue, anything to make noise and will not stop.  She has extreme difficulty sitting for anything longer than about 30 seconds.  I would definitely say her behavior is escalating and with 9 other children in her class, it's difficult.

So, Moms, what's some advice on how to help with her behavior?  Time out is ineffective.  I've even tried bribery (a balloon that she wanted, etc) and nothing is working.  I don't want to get frustrated as I realize it's not her fault, which is why I'm asking you.  We love her and absolutely want the best for her but I'm out of ideas to help her until her full evaluation and IEP is done.

Thank you so much!!!!

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Help a Preschool Teacher?

• Auntie,

We are a traditional private preschool.  Fortunately, her behavior isn't to a point where it will impact us in any way.  She's not completely out of control, but she seems to be spiraling a bit.  She's been with me nearly a year and her parents are wonderful people that truly want the best for her.  They do realize we want the same.  Which is good.  I think the news is just so new to them that they are reeling a little bit.  I have confidence that within the week they will share what the developmental pediatrician shared with them.  So far, no resolutions or suggestions have been made and that's not helping anyone, especially her.

We absolutely adore having her and I'm not just saying that.  We can't imagine our days without her.  I am not to the point of telling her parents they need to find another center for her as I don't feel that will help anyone (they would most likely just put her in another traditional center and then we are no better than anyone else ... we haven't helped her in any way).  I'm willing to wait it out a bit and if the behavior escalates further then I will reevaluate. 

As of right now, I'd just love some insight on how to help her through the stims, etc.  I completely agree that she doesn't see the rules as applying to her or even completely comprehending them.  As I've learned from lurking here, ASD rarely travels alone and I think ADHD might be involved here, but truly, I'm just a preschool director, not a doctor.  I just know when a child isn't developing or behaving in a typical fashion and needs to have a full evaluation by a professional.

I'm not at all sorry I'm dealing with her nor do I really feel it's an unhappy situation and I apologize if it came off that way originally.  We have spoken as a staff about the possibility of her leaving our care and it truly does devastate us as we are all quite attached to her.  However, we recognize that we want what is truly best for her and that may not be us.

Thank you for the insight and the concern ... I had hoped you would respond Auntie! :)

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

• Thanks for the info ladies.  Honestly, at the moment, we pretty much allow her to do what she needs to do within reason.  Yes it's annoying.  Yes it can be disruptive.  This is why we have encouraged the parents to have her evaluated.  It's also why I came here and asked because I don't want to make her do something she's either incapable of or will damage her in some way.  At the same time, it's to a point where I don't want her to be ostracized or bullied or otherwise singled out.  As a staff and caregiver we want what's best for her and recognize that we may not be what's best or at minimum we are not what's best without some professional intervention.  Hopefully everything moves fairly quickly and we get her the services she needs.

Thanks again!

Our Journey to Brenden

3 babies waiting on ice

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"