Preemies

Possible digestion issues, and swollen tummy.

Uggh. I just want an answer! I posted last week about my DS having a distended belly. They did a few sets of labwork and he hasn't had any signs of NEC. They did start him on antibiotics last week just in case he had it, but the labs revealed that he didn't. They've done several x-rays and they looked good. I'm just really puzzled as to what this could be. He's on 100% breast milk right now and they're not going to add in the formula again until he's doing okay with the breast milk. When I talked to the nurse earlier she said that his tummy was swollen, but not as much but she also said he hasn't pooped since about 5:00 this morning.

Does anyone know what this could possibly be or have you experienced this with your little one?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Possible digestion issues, and swollen tummy.

• Jack had a distended belly too. Part of it was because he had a bowel perforation which required surgery to repair. He was also on the CPAP for breathing support which pushed a lot of air into his tummy causing it to blow up like a balloon. Its been my experience that if they can't figure out what is wrong it becomes just a "wait and see" game. I know it sucks but try to hang in there! Hopefully you'll have more answers soon!
  • We just went through this same situation but with bloody stool also. Fortunately all the test came back negative and feeding resumed. It seems as if he just gets really gassy after feeding. Hopefully that's all there is to it for both of our LOs.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehnyloven:
    We just went through this same situation but with bloody stool also. Fortunately all the test came back negative and feeding resumed. It seems as if he just gets really gassy after feeding. Hopefully that's all there is to it for both of our LOs.

I hope that's all it is with both of them too! He tolerates all of his feedings, rarely spits up, and is now up to 2 bottle feedings a day.

• imageKate621:
    Jack had a distended belly too. Part of it was because he had a bowel perforation which required surgery to repair. He was also on the CPAP for breathing support which pushed a lot of air into his tummy causing it to blow up like a balloon. Its been my experience that if they can't figure out what is wrong it becomes just a "wait and see" game. I know it sucks but try to hang in there! Hopefully you'll have more answers soon!

Pretty much this exactly. My other DD Abby occasionally has a swollen tummy due to gas and pooping.

3 miscarriages, Infertility, & Premature Birth Abigail and Adalynn born @ 25w1d Lilypie Second Birthday tickers FAQ: Resources for New NICU Moms
    FAQ: My Friend Just Had a Preemie, How Can I Help?
  • My LO did this while in NICU quite a bit, along with bloody stools. It turned out he has Breastmilk colitis and is allergic to dairy and soy.  I tried to keep him on BM, and did for 6 months, with the help of a G.I doctor and cutting out all dairy, soy and nuts. But he was getting more and more miserible, his labs were going down and he was always super cranky so the G.I. doctor switched him to Elecare and he has been great since then.

Have you tried cutting out dairy and soy from your diet? Make sure if you do, you are reading lables too and learn all the words that mean dairy because it is in almost everything.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"