Pregnant after 35
Options

Anybody deliver a "sunny-side up" baby? XP

So, I'm one day past my due date and had my first NST this morning.  Everything looked good with baby-- good fluid levels, baby's not stressed out, etc.  I'm scheduled for a second NST on Thursday and scheduled for an induction the evening of 10/4 if baby hasn't shown up on his or her own by then.The one hiccup of the day was that I discovered that the baby is in a posterior/ "sunny-side up" position, i.e. I could be headed for the dreaded back labor.  I'm actually really glad to have found this out now rather than at the hospital and in excruciating pain.That said, I'd love to hear from others what I have to "look forward to," what I could possibly do in the next week to help baby turn around, what my chances of having a vaginal delivery really are, etc.  This is my second baby and I had no trouble delivering my son vaginally (I had an epidural, but everything went really smoothly).  I was really looking forward to one of those 2nd-deliveries-are-so-much-easier scenarios, but I'm afraid we're not heading in that direction.  My OB would love it if baby arrived on its own before Monday because supposedly the chance of a c-section with posterior babies is GREATLY reduced if your body has a chance to slowly work its way into labor.  So, I'm not jumping for an induction anymore.  I'll be ok with a c-section if it is needed, of course, I'd just like to avoid the longer recovery time.  I'm also fine with getting an epidural to manage pain.Anyways, just looking to hear your stories.  Anyone?  Am I doomed for agony? 
Cy (04.02.2008) & June (10.05.2010) 

Re: Anybody deliver a "sunny-side up" baby? XP

• Options
    My son was sunny side up.  Ah, it was painful towards the end, when his heart rate was dropping and it was clear that the pushing was not very effective.  Ultimately I had to be cut and once she did that, the baby's head spun and he was out in one push.  I had no meds.  It IS doable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter was sunnyside up. I had an episiotomy and forceps. I also had a 4th degree tear. The epi helped but I was in pain for a few weeks following her birth. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At my yoga classes they recommend a lot of the "cat-cow" pose as it lets the baby's heavier back roll around to your front, if that makes sense. Also babies often shift position during the labor process. A vaginal delivery is totally possible. Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thank you, ladies!

I've been doing the "cat-cow" pose a lot the last few days and I'm still hoping the baby shifts on its way out.  I'd just really like labor to start "naturally" instead of being induced.  My dr. didn't give me great statistics on "sunny-side up" babies being delivered vaginally when an induction starts the delivery process.

I'm meeting with one of the other OBs tomorrow for my second NST, so maybe she'll paint a rosier picture for me.  Or maybe I'll go into labor tonight!  har har, I doubt it.

Cy (04.02.2008) & June (10.05.2010) 
  • Options
    imagewestcoaststyle:

Thank you, ladies!

I've been doing the "cat-cow" pose a lot the last few days and I'm still hoping the baby shifts on its way out.  I'd just really like labor to start "naturally" instead of being induced.  My dr. didn't give me great statistics on "sunny-side up" babies being delivered vaginally when an induction starts the delivery process.

I'm meeting with one of the other OBs tomorrow for my second NST, so maybe she'll paint a rosier picture for me.  Or maybe I'll go into labor tonight!  har har, I doubt it.

This - plus I also heard sitting on an exercise ball can help turn the baby over. (I plan to do both of these as much as possible during the 3rd tri!)

DS was sunny-side up, and I won't lie, I had a very difficult, painful labor. I was epidural-ed up to the max and still felt pain at the end (the back labor pain, not the actual contractions). After two hours of pushing, the doctor used the vacuum extractor to help get him out and I had a second-degree tear. He was nearly 10 lbs., so that made things more difficult, plus he was my first. I will say that my recovery was fine, and I had no problems.

But, this is your second, and your labor should be somewhat easier, even if he is posterior. Also, my labor had to be induced because I was experiencing consistent 5-minute painful contractions for over 12 hours and I was dilated at a 1. The pitocin did get things moving, it took another 14 hours to deliver. In hindsight, I wish I would have known what was happening, I had no idea what back labor was, and that it was what I was experiencing -- which made me really scared during the whole process. The doctor never told me until afterwards that DS was posterior. The best thing I did when I was in labor was to take a warm shower - that really helps with the back labor.

babies baby BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"