Working Moms

former nursing moms

How long were you able to nurse/pump after you returned to work?  I returned to work when DD was 12 weeks old and DD will be 1 at Thanksgiving and I was trying to make it until then but I just don't see how I will be able.

I am already supplementing with formula.  Had to start that around 8 months because my supply just wasn't satisfying her.  Now I am pumping so little that I just don't see the point (5 oz TOTAL on Friday).  I still nurse and then give a bottle at bedtime and nurse in the morning but I am not sure how much she is really getting from me.

Just to clarify...she also get cereal, fruit, veggie, meat, finger foods.

I NEVER feel "full" anymore.

So...how long did you go?

TIA

Re: former nursing moms

• I went back to work when DS#3 was nine weeks old and pumped until he was nine months.  I was already supplementing with formula but by the time nine months rolled around I wasn't getting all that much anymore (maybe half a bottle worth after a whole day of pumping) so I stopped.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• I kept pumping until DS was a year old. It takes a lot of work, but it can be done. 

You have done a great job to make it this far!  

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I returned to work when he was 12 weeks old and am still pumping, though my supply has definitely gone down in the last 3 months or so.  I added in some early morning weekend sessions in order to build up our freezer stash so if I fall short at work during the week I have some to draw from.  I am now starting to wean from pumping (dropped a session this week, will drop my next one next week and so on until I'm no longer pumping) and will start LO on some cow's milk next week.  I plan to continue morning and evening nursing sessions with him up until 2 or whenever he weans (whichever comes first).

The problem with supplementing is that it basically tells your body you don't need as much milk and slows down production so the only way for you to probably continue to try and keep up is to add pumping or nursing sessions.

• I stopped at 3 months, which was about 7 weeks after I went back to work. I wasn't nursing, just pumping. I'd been wanting to quit for about a month, but decided to make the decision at 3 months, to make sure I wasn't just deciding to quit on a bad day. At the 3 month mark, I was only  pumping 4 oz a day, in a full day of pumping. At that point, it just wasn't worth it anymore. I decided to pump only when I felt uncomfortable, which was once a day for the next 2 days and never again.
    imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I went back to work at 3 months, stopped pumping around 9.5 months, and stopped nursing all together around 10 months. I was supplementing since 4 months though since I just wasn't able to pump enough, usually just 1 bottle per day. By the time she was 9 months, I was barely pumping anything at all and went down to just morning and night nursing. Then morning only, then nothing at all.
  • I went back to work when both of my girls were 4 months old.  With DD1 I had problems from the start so she was already being supplemented with formula.  I pumped at work until the day after she turned one.  Nursed her till she was 15 months.  With DD2 I made sure to create a slight oversupply before going back to work so even a supply drop would not hurt.  I pumped at work for her until the day after she turned one as well.  Then she received frozen pumped milk until a couple days before she turned 13 months then she was switched to cow milk.  She is still nursing when we are together and is 16 months old today.  I anticipate she will continue nursing for at least several more months.
    Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • imagemrs. sage:

The problem with supplementing is that it basically tells your body you don't need as much milk and slows down production so the only way for you to probably continue to try and keep up is to add pumping or nursing sessions.

This -  It absolutely tells your body you do not need to produce. I would also say if you really want to push through, start taking fenugeek, make sure you are doing breast massages and compressions and I would even say - do a power nursing/pumping weekend!

With #1, I returned when she was 10 weeks, #2 when he was 16 weeks. They were on BM that entire first year. I quit pumping entirely during the work day around 11.5 months. At 1 year, they transitioned to whole milk during the work day and nursed morning, night and weekends until #1 was 15 months and #2 was 17 months.

• I think that I stopped pumping at around 11 months, but continued to nurse in the mornings, evenings, and weekends until he was just over a year old.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I nursed until LO was 12 months. I fought hard though to keep up my supply. I had to take lots of Fenugreek and drank tons of mother's milk tea as I had lots of colds, etc.. I never supplemented and went straight from nursing to whole milk.
  • I'm struggling right now.  About a month and a half ago, I started pumping only half to 2/3 of what he needs while I'm at work.  I am so determined for him not to have formula that I added extra sessions at night after he goes to bed (he STTN) and early in the morning before he gets up.  It's so frustrating!
  • I went back to work when my daughter was 12 weeks and I stopped pumping when she turned 8 months. By that point I was hardly able to pump anything. At about 6 months we started supplementing because I wasn't coming anywhere close to pumping what she needed. I gave up when I was only pumping about 2 ounces a day. I continued to nurse her in the morning / evening for awhile. I finally gave that up because she was still starving after nursing and didn't really seem interested anymore. My goal was to make it to one year with at least some BM everyday. I'm bummed that I didn't make it, but my daughter is perfectly happy and healthy, and that helps me feel somewhat better about it.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I kept pumping until 11 1/2 months, when DS started STTN and no longer needed to nurse at night.  I was pumping 2-3 times/day to get one 5-oz bottle.  

For the last few weeks, I also never felt "full," but compared to what my boobs are like now, I realize I probably still made quite a bit of milk. 

I know several mommas who stopped pumping but still nursed when baby wanted to, so that might work for you.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • I went back after 12 wks and I EBF until DS was 12.5 mos old. I began weaning him at 11.5 mos
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageDallasHorn:
    imagemrs. sage:

This -  It absolutely tells your body you do not need to produce. I would also say if you really want to push through, start taking fenugeek, make sure you are doing breast massages and compressions and I would even say - do a power nursing/pumping weekend!

With #1, I returned when she was 10 weeks, #2 when he was 16 weeks. They were on BM that entire first year. I quit pumping entirely during the work day around 11.5 months. At 1 year, they transitioned to whole milk during the work day and nursed morning, night and weekends until #1 was 15 months and #2 was 17 months.

Wow...maybe it is my mood and maybe I should have clarified.  I have done A LOT to keep up with my DD's feeding needs.  I have been pumping 5x/day at work and taking fenugreek and the lactation blend for months.  If it's not there, it's not there! 

I refuse to beat myself up...already do that as a working mom of 2.

• I went back when DD was 6 months old and was able to pump until she was 15 months old.  I had a supply dip when she was 7-8 months, but then I started nursing her on my lunch break.  I was pumping about 2x a day and getting anywhere between 3-4oz.  She only drank 4oz at daycare during the day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemwlynn:

Wow...maybe it is my mood and maybe I should have clarified.  I have done A LOT to keep up with my DD's feeding needs.  I have been pumping 5x/day at work and taking fenugreek and the lactation blend for months.  If it's not there, it's not there! 

I refuse to beat myself up...already do that as a working mom of 2.

Yes No beating yourself up. I know it seems like when you're having supply issues, everyone assumes it's because you aren't doing it right. You're right though, if it's not there, it's not there.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I went back to work at 12 weeks and pumped until DS was a year.  We're still nursing at home to this day.  At 11 months 5oz might be enough for her.  I know DS was usually drinking 4-6oz plus solid food while I was gone so maybe you don't really have supply issues after all!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Thanks!  It is nice to get support and not feel attacked. 

I know everyone's heart is in the right place but sometimes...come on...be supportive of other mom's instead of assuming.

Anyway...stepping off the soapbox!

Thanks Again!

• I went back to work when DS was 9 weeks, he's 8 and a half months now and still going.  I originally had a major over supply issue, it was tapered off over time and I have had to dip into my frozen milk a number of times.  Until 6 months I still got engorged but around 7 months I stopped feeling 'full' at all.  This past week he was drinking everything I sent to school and seemed to want more than I was pumping so I started taking More Milk Plus.  It worked like a charm.  I am now back to being Elsie the Dairy Cow.   I pumped 23oz yesterday.  Moo.  Big Smile

Like you I plan to keep pumping until he's a year, then I'll quit but probably keep nursing at night and in the morning and see how it goes from there.  

My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • I went back to work at 13 weeks, and I pump 3 times/day. At about 4.5 months, I started producing 12 oz (she eats 15), and so I used my freezer stash. That took about a month. I just started supplementing with formula yesterday. I refuse to feel bad about that. I am a working mom, and I don't get much sleep, and I did not want to add extra pumping sessions. I had so many latch issues in the beginning and almost gave up around 6 weeks, but I'm so glad that I stuck it out.  I made it six months EBF, and I plan to continue pumping at work for 3 more months. That is my goal. I learned early on with bfing to set short goals. I hope to bf when I'm with DD for a year, but it doesn't bother me that she'll be getting formula. While I am pro-bf if it works for you, I agree with pp that if it's not there, it's not there.

Do not beat yourself up! I think you've done a great job making it this far! Congratulations!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"