New Jersey Babies

Need a New OB/Midwife/Hospital in Northern Jersey

Hi! I'm 22 weeks along and am not comfortable with delivering at St. Barnabas - My doctors seem OK, but the since I live in Jersey City the hospital is very far. In addition, every time I've been there for diagnostic tests I've felt like I was in a subway station! I interviewed two doctors that are affiliated with Hackensack Hospital - 1) Dr. Keanchong - did not really connect with her 2) Dr. Schwartz who practices with Dr. Gerardis and Kopp. I heard good things about the practice, but when I had my appt. with Dr. Schwartz he laughed at me when I told him that I wanted to have try to give birth without an epidural "You'll change you're mind" and when I said I was thinking of hiring a doula "waste of money" was all he said.
I would really like to have a doctor that supports my goal of an epidural free calm birth in a hospital.  I would also love to meet some midwives that are affiliated with hospitals.
I visited Lenox Hill in NYC and it was also very difficult to get to, and Overlook Hospital in Summit where the rooms seemed depressing. I do not want to be pushed into a C-section - does anyone have any recommendations for a natural birth friendly OB out of Hackensack? That seems to be a hospital I can live with.
Thanks!!

Re: Need a New OB/Midwife/Hospital in Northern Jersey

• Not sure if this is too far for you but I'm delivering at The Valley Hospital in Ridgewood.  They have a really nice holistic birth program run by a midwife.  This is important to me as I too am going for a drug free/intervention free birth.  My Bradley teacher has delivered there twice naturally and intervention free.  You can read about the program here: https://www.valleyhealth.com/ChildBirth.aspx?id=2222.

My OB is The Valley Center for Women's Health.  Also located in Ridgewood.  I spoke with my doctors about having a natural birth and they were all very open to the idea.  They never would have treated me like you were treated at the other DR's office.  I can't believe he talked to you like that.  Their website is www.vcwh.com. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.   

imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for your reply....the valley site looks amazing!  I guess I have to consider it even though it takes about 45 minutes without traffic....do you think that is too long to ride on D-DAY with contractions?
  • Loading the player...
  • It is kind of a far drive.  But I guess it depends on what you're comfortable with.  I would maybe bring it up with a Doctor too and see what they think.   I happen to be lucky because I live near  by, but if I was still living in my hometown the nearest hospital is 30 minutes away.  Good luck!
    imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered my son through a drug-free vaginal birth at Chilton Memorial Hospital in Pompton Plains.  When I arrived the nurses told me they had already read my birth plan and knew that I wanted as few interventions as possible.  It was a great experience, but I had an OB who was respectful of my wishes as well as a fantastic doula.

I did use a doula who actually works at Valley Hospital in Ridgewood.  She was one of their original doulas when the program began there a few years ago.  She had another doula from that program come to my son's birth as well for a few hours.  They were both absolutely phenomenal, and I don't think I would have been able to succeed with my birth plan without them.  So, I highly recommend either Valley or Chilton.  If you go with Valley, definitely check out their doula program!

I have not heard good things about Hackensack in terms of being natural-birth friendly.  However, if you really liked the hospital, then just be sure you ask lots of questions about natural childbirth while you are there and you will get a sense of how they react.

• Regarding your experience with Dr. Schwarz, did you try one of the women in his practice?   I go there and Dr Silva delivered my baby - but I rotated through all the doctors there and know him.  He's a little old school but loved the other doctors.  However, I do not know if they are big with natural free deliveries -- only because I never asked.    Good luck. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My OBGYN is in Bayonne, her name is Dr. Prakash 201-858-8444. She delivers out of Meadowland's Hospital in Secaucus. I live in Wayne, NJ but I travel all the way to Bayonne because I love her. She delivered my cousins and my siblings. The only downside is that Meadowland's is undergoing some transitions and I currently go to another hospital for my ultrasounds. It's really not that big of a deal though. To me personally, I go whereever Dr. Praskash goes!
  • I delivered at Hackensack, and it was WONDERFUL!  They are very pro-breastfeeding.  Not sure about natural bc I was a scheduled c/section due to a blood clotting disorder.  The staff at HUMC is fabulous, and the rooms are all private too.  Food is like room service, I highly recommend HUMC as a place to give birth.

My ob is Dr. Michael Seidner--he is a single practitioner, and I love him.  He is a calming presence and not one to get too medically intrusive unless necessary.  You can reach him at 201-488-1700.  Good luck Mommy!

• No, I have not tried any of the women in his practice, my main concern is meeting him in the delivery room!
  • I work at HUMC and decided to give birth at Valley for a variety of reasons.

HUMC is very good at CS, their NICU is awsome, and they are very pro-breast feeding.  All of their rooms are also private and some have a bed for dad to sleep on.  On the other hand HUMC does not allow midwives or doula's and I have heard of mom's complain that their baby has been given a bottle in the middle of the night when all they wanted was to strictly breast feed their baby.  

As for Valley, they allow for doula's, have a Natural Birthing program, and my midwife (Cristina Giambalvo, CNM, MSN) practices there via The Center for Women's Health (https://www.tcwh.medem.com) in Westwood.  Most of Valley's rooms are private, but there are a few that are semi private. The facility is not as new as HUMC, but the care is more holistic.  We are going for our tour on Friday and I can't wait!  

Good luck! 

• Avalon group in morristown ...morristown memorial hospital....absolutely AMAZING women
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hi!  I just found a great doctor who works out of Hoboken University Medical Center.  His name is Raul Aguilar and his office is on Washington Avenue (129 Wash. I think).  He is an awesome doctor.  Takes time with his patients, goes over all exams and is very caring.  I am extremely picky, and I really like this guy alot!  

Good luck!   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm glad that you have a doctor that you like and have had luck with because that is hard to find but Dr Prakash is not very well liked by other doctors in Bayonne.  In fact, at my job, we're not allowed to refer patients to her office at all.  My MIL had two bad encounters with that doctor (one of them being; when she didn't tell my MIL about an abnormal pap which ended in cervical cancer!) before I refused to let her go back there.  

Everyone has their own opinion but when DOCTORS start to doubt their colleagues, it says a lot about that doctor.  I also have my doubts about Meadowlands Hosp...they're not very good either.  If you're stuck on Meadowlands Hosp you might want to try Dr Woroch (father or son).  They're pretty good.

Either way, good luck!   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I know that you mentioned you are all the way over in Jersey City---- my recommendation to you is a bit of a drive- but I cannot tell you how WORTH it, it would be. I have been working with Hackettstown midwives from very early on in pregnancy- was sent their way on a random referral and cannot tell you enough how happy I am with their decision.  I am having a home birth but they are associated now with Morristown hospital.  There are three midwives- Roxie, Cindy and Lisa- they are awesome.  I will be a first time mom- filled with anxiety and wanting to make the best decisions possible.  Each visit is no less than about 90 mins. and we cover EVERYTHING.  From nutrition to listening to baby's heart beat- to basically, just how I am feeling in general.  It is really reassuring to have this type of care available to me.  I feel so lucky to have found this group and will recommend them to everyone in the future.  Best of luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"