North Carolina Babies

possible move to Chapel Hill.. I have NC questions!

Hi, we might be moving to Chapel Hill in early 2011. DH is up for a job there and so far it looks like it might be a great fit for us.

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some of the local moms can answer - any info would be much appreciated!

1) If we move, we will buy a house. DS (almost 5) is really interested in swimming and would love a swimming pool. We're currently in upstate NY (close to Canada) and pool season here is really mid-June to August at best. How long can you swim outside in NC? When do people open and close their pools? Is it worth it to have one?

2) What's the birthday for Kindergarten cutoff in NC/Chapel Hill? Here in NY, ds missed the cutoff by less than 3 weeks and I'm wondering if he would go straight in or wait until Sept 2011 to start.

and 3) (and this is the biggest question, of course Smile) Where in Chapel Hill or the surrounding communities is a good place to live? where would you choose and where would you avoid?

Thanks for any info! We're excited about this possibility - NC looks beautiful and seems really interesting!

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness

Re: possible move to Chapel Hill.. I have NC questions!

• I don't live in Chapel Hill - I'm closer to Greensboro, but I know the cutoff for school is August 31. As for pool season... I'd say it starts around April or May and most pools close in September. We are just now getting some weather that is too cold for swimming, but this past week temperatures have still been in the 90s!
  • Chapel Hill is more pricer than other areas in the Triangle (Raleigh Durham). Some surrounding areas would be Pittsboro or Carrboro.

Most neighborhoods do have community pools, mine was open this year from early May-mid Sept. All though it for sure has been pool weather since then. 

Like PP said, the cut off is Aug 31. I don't know if that is for traditional calendar schools or for year round schools. I don't think Chapel Hill does year round, but I am not 100% sure! Good luck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • The Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system is on a traditional calendar, not year-round. Like other posters have said, CH is a bit more expensive than the surrounding areas. Within CH there are plenty of nice neighborhoods and places to live. You might also look in Carrboro (would still be in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro district which is one of the best in the area), Hillsborough, or Durham.
  • I would look into an area called Southern Village in CH.  They have lots of houses (but close together), a pool, dog park, playgrounds, restaurants, a market, etc.  Great area!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Agreed with PP to everything.

Just wanted to add our neighborhood pool is still open! We are technically in Durham but more close to the Raleigh boarder. We are about 15/29 mins from Chapel Hill.  It has been so hot here they have kept it open. It's really unusual but my neighborhood is pretty cool and if it's hot, they'll let you swim until the temp. officially drops to cooler for a consistent period of time. GL on your move!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Thanks, ladies! I appreciate the info - it's very helpful. I've been looking at Carrboro real estate listings and they look perfect! NC seems like a great place to live with kids.
    2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"