Multiples

When do babies understand "discipline"

What general age I should expect the boys to understand that they shouldn't do something. Right now when Eli, for the 15th time today, tries to climb up on the entertainment center I say "no" and move him away or I block it off with the ottoman or laundry basket. But at what point will he understand what "no" means? When is the transition from distract to time out/swat the hand/whatever you call discipline. (Don't worry, I know that that time is not yet and I have no intention of putting my 8 month olds in time out or anything, just wondering.)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When do babies understand "discipline"

• I read recently (I think in Baby 411) that some babies understand "no" at 6 months. My one DD understands "no" when I'm wearing her and she pinches/scratches me. She'll do it and then look at me for my reaction...stinker :) It doesn't seem like she is able to apply "no" to other situations yet.

I think you'll know when they're ready for timeout. It varies from child to child. I knew my foster son was ready for timeout v. distractions when he was 19 months old. Our dog had complications from paw surgery and her foot was bandaged. One day I told him "no" about something unrelated to the dog, and out of anger towards me for saying "no" he went up to the dog and looked at me and slowly started to step on her paw. I figure if he was able to plan revenge, he was able to understand time-out! I think I'll recognize when the babies are ready for time-out too, but I don't think babies are typically ready before 18 months. 

• imagesunnybrook.:

I read recently (I think in Baby 411) that some babies understand "no" at 6 months. My one DD understands "no" when I'm wearing her and she pinches/scratches me. She'll do it and then look at me for my reaction...stinker :) It doesn't seem like she is able to apply "no" to other situations yet.

I think you'll know when they're ready for timeout. It varies from child to child. I knew my foster son was ready for timeout v. distractions when he was 19 months old. Our dog had complications from paw surgery and her foot was bandaged. One day I told him "no" about something unrelated to the dog, and out of anger towards me for saying "no" he went up to the dog and looked at me and slowly started to step on her paw. I figure if he was able to plan revenge, he was able to understand time-out! I think I'll recognize when the babies are ready for time-out too, but I don't think babies are typically ready before 18 months. 

I don't know if James understands "no" or just my yelp but when he bites while nursing the yelp "no" does the trick.  For the most part right now they just ignore me when I say it though.

I think you're right that when they are ready I'll know it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • i put the boys into "time out" when i have told them "no" a bunch of times and they keep doing the same thing.... I tell them "mommy told you NO, now you go in time out" and I put them in the PNP for a minute.

we did this with Griffin and he learned fast that doing XYZ got him put into baby jail - and stopped doing those things... it's working with the twins pretty good so far.... as much as it can work with 2 15mo olds :)

if nothing it helps mommy get one minute with them NOT doing the thing they keep doing - so mommy can decompress and not go insane ;)

• Mine seem to understand "no touch" about garbage cans and some other things.  But, they still try to touch these things and have to be reminded.  They are pretty good about "no eat" when it comes to leaves and sticks now, but still I keep my eye on them. 

Otherwise I just try to distract them or remove the thing I want to keep them from.

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"