Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Cidotec (SP?) (long)

I was curious if anyone else had been induced with this drug instead of cervadil & what your results were.  I was put on this prior to pitocin to ripen my cervix w/ adverse effects.   (I had pre-e, and my BP was creeping up fast)  I had HORRIBLE contractions after about 9 hours only to find out I was only 2.5 cm.  I got an epidural which dropped mine & LO BP/heart rate so much we had to get a shot of effedra.  They let me sleep through the night to watch my BP, but every contraction (about 60 seconds apart 30-60 seconds long) baby girl's heart rate was dropping still.  After pitocin I was at 4 cm & by morning (after stopping pitocin) I was only at 5 cm.  Since I had no progress & was only half way through, DR decided to break my water to see if anything would happen & nothing.  I was then sent in for a c-section & within 30 of my water being broken my LO arrived.  She was small (2 weeks early) but perfect.

I read up on this drug afterwards, since prior to I had heard it was not the usual technique to induce.  I found that it is not FDA approved for induction, and that it can cause many many adverse effects with baby & mother.  Has anyone had this happen, good or bad?  What was your story?

imageimageimageimageimage
  Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Cidotec (SP?) (long)

• Options
    I was first given Cervadil and got to 1cm then was given a 12-hour round of Cytotec and it done nothing for me....I ended up having a c-section.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you had such a tough time. I wasn't induced with cytotec, but was given it (and many other things) when they couldn't control the bleeding after delivery. I didn't have an adverse reaction to it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry you had to go through that - I had a 12 hr round of cytotec, and although my labor was very long (36 hrs), I didn't have any adverse effects from it and ended up delivering vaginally.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am sorry that your experienc was so terrible.

One dose was placed at 4:30 pm August 4th and I delivered at 1:35 pm on August 5th.  I wasn't dilated at all and was barely effaced.  Lorelei did have meconium, but I think that was due to her being too big.  I delivered vaginally.

On another note, before I was induced, I asked about the fact that I always see Cervadil used and my OB said that Cytotec is now used instead.  I don't know.  Their practice is almost thirty years old so I would think he would be familiar with the techniques used.  I don't know.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lorelei Lizabeth 8-5-10
  • Options
    I was given several doses of cytotec over a 12 hr. period to try and soften my cervix.  I also had pre-e and my blood pressure was creeping up high.  I was having contractions, although I didn't feel any of them, but they weren't pushing the baby down and the cytotec did not end up changing my cervix at all.  After about 12 hrs. I had a c-section that went very smoothly. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was given 2 doses of cytotec my first day of induction - I had no changes to my cervix, they gave me cervadil for overnight - still no changes by morning so they started me on pitocin @ 10am. I started mild contractions by 1pm, & was in active labor @ 4pm. DS was born the next morning @ 4am - 12 hrs of active labor & 5 min of pushing, no drugs besides for the induction. I didn't notice any side effects from the cytotec or cervadil. I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience - good to hear you're both doing well!
  • Options

Thanks for sharing!  Good to know some people had an ok experience with their inductions.  It was disappointing to me to not be able to have my own delivery even though I know it was medically necessary.

I was mad when I asked the Dr at my follow up about why I was given cytotec instead of cervadil & he responded b/c its cheaper!  That was a horrible reason to me....

imageimageimageimageimage
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"