Pre-School and Daycare

r/p How long in toddler bed?

How long will your or did your kiddo stay in a toddler bed if you had one before moving to a big bed or twin or whatever?  It will probably be several months or even into next year before the conversion kit is ready for DS's bed (the Babi Italia Lifetime Pinehurst) and they are on backorder and when they are finally available again, I will need to special order them so I'm looking at probably Feb or March (my guesstimate if I have to special order and heard that takes 12 weeks past the date they are able to order them). 

Anyway, I'm trying to think - DS will be 3 in June and will be 2 1/2 before the conversion kit is available if not older.  Should I bite the bullet and just buy him a new bed and screw the conversion kit, etc. or stick with the toddler bed and wait it out for the conversion kit?  I am exhausted and probably babbling sorry if this makes no sense.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: r/p How long in toddler bed?

• DD has been in her toddler bed since she was about 22 months.  She'd been climbing out of her crib since she was a year old and once we realized there was no stopping her we changed the bed.  She'll be three in a few weeks and we'll continue to use her toddler bed until we see where she's "outgrowing" it.  Mainly, once we see that she's not sleeping well or doesn't seem comfortable or well rested in the mornings.  Also, we're renting the house where we live now and we plan to move next year, so we really don't want to "invest" in new furniture purchases until we know for sure where we'll plant some roots for a while.  

I would transition him to the toddler bed just to see how he does with the new set-up.  The toddler bed will give him the chance to learn how to stay in his own bed.  You can also use it as a "growing" tool--like "Look honey, you're sleeping in your big boy bed now!  Great job!"  Any little thing you can do to show him he's growing up will be beneficial to him and you!  GL! 

• My DD is a shorty (about 36 inches) and I think she has another year in her toddler bed, so until she's about 4.5.

I would never have purchased a toddler bed. If DD's bed didn't convert, I would have gone straight to her a twin/full bed.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm actually thinking of getting him new bedding for the toddler bed, at least a new sheet set or a couple so he can feel like it's grown up bedding now.  Thanks for the info! 
  • imagebrightning:

My DD is a shorty (about 36 inches) and I think she has another year in her toddler bed, so until she's about 4.5.

I would never have purchased a toddler bed. If DD's bed didn't convert, I would have gone straight to her a twin/full bed.

Oh no, this is the convertible crib so it was his crib I just took the front off and I haven't gotten the toddler railing yet (he cosleeps with me) but I'm working to transition him and want to make it smooth but I can't even order the matching toddler rail from the company - I will have to get another one from One Step Ahead or something similar.  But no I would not have purchased a toddler bed either - it's just convenient because it's the same mattress, etc.  And because I really love the crib and the look as a full size, I just can't convert mine yet.  But I'm glad to know I have time.  Thanks!

• I never did toddler beds for my girls and personally think they are a waste.  My girls moved from the crib to a twin mattress on the floor with bed rails at 18 months and 17 months and did great.  I kept the rails up for around a year with each.  We added the box sprong to my older DD's bed after about 6 months and is finally getting a real bed (a trundle bed) in the next month or so.  My little one still has her mattress on the floor (a year later) simple because we never got around to buying her box spring and she never complained.  She will get the box spring from her sisters bed when she gets the trundle and she'll get a trundle bed in a year or two.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Dylan didn't fit by the time he was about 3.5 but he's on the taller side.

So... he used it for a bit less than a year.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • He will hopefully have the conversion kit and be in a full bed by 3 but I'm glad to know I have time.  He is on the high side for length so he is on the taller side too.  Since he sleeps with me I don't know how much room he really has in there to grow still.  Thanks for your advice!
  • We moved DS to one at 14 months because he is a little monkey and kept climbing out of the crib and pac-n-play. He was in it until he was 3yrs and 4 months. He's tall and likes to sleep at an angle so he wasn't fitting comfortably.
  • We transitioned liv's crib to toddler bed at 14 months old. Sapphire, target has cute toddler bed in a bag sets. We co slept too but once she got to puck out her sheets, it's like she fell in live with her bed lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"