South Florida Babies

Rocking to Sleep vs Self Sleeper

So I was looking up on establishing a night routine for Jacob. I heard that a baby can recognize routine after 3 months of age. While I was looking at the information it suggested that I shouldn't rock him to sleep, but teach him to self sleep. I think self sleeping is a wonderful idea, but not right now. I enjoy rocking him to sleep as daddy reads him a story. I just figured that he is still a baby and should be rocked to sleep.

But my question is.......

Will it be hard to get him to be a self sleeper later on if I don't start now?

I wanted to see if I can get some feedback on what you ladies did with your little ones.  

Re: Rocking to Sleep vs Self Sleeper

• I slowly started weaning the rocking to sleep around 5-6 months. I started rocking to drowsy & then no rocking at all (in the crib awake). It wasn't a hard transition at that age.
  • You can probably get away with rocking for a little longer, but the longer you do it, the harder it will be to stop.  I really never had to rock DD, she always fell asleep on her own from an early age. It's a hard habbit to break as they get closer to their 1st bday!
  • Loading the player...
  • As Mel said, the longer you do it, the harder it will be to stop (for both of you). And as you get closer to deciding he's ready to put himself to sleep, you'll have to start the weaning process slowly. 

DD was never much into being rocked to sleep, so we would just swaddle her (when she was younger) and put her in her crib.

Good luck!

FWIW: They're only little once, so if you don't mind it, then continue doing what you're doing. Your baby = your rules...no matter what books may say. Trust your mama instincts. :) 

• Thank you ladies for the advice. I think we are going to go the self sleeper way. It will be harder to stop later on (more on me then him). Most of the time he is already asleep after his bedtime story anyways. He is pretty good at knowing that once his PJ's are on it is time for bed. Once again thank you guys. :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"